.243 into .308 ??

Glyn Walsh

Just a thought that others may be able to help with.I`ve been thinking of going up in calibre from .243 to .308 for various reasons. However, I thought that rather than sell my .243 T3, is it feasible to have it re-barrelled in .308 instead?They both share the same cartridge case dont they? So it should simply be a matter of a new barrel in the correct calibre! I like my T3 and its in good nick, so why change the whole rifle? Or, am I being a bit simplistic (simple?) in my thoughts?Is there a bit more to it? I dont know. Would it be cost effective? Would it be more trouble than its worth?Any views gladly accepted

I have both! Great for mixing it up a bit! Start at 55g with 243. Right up to 200g with 308. Great calbres for homeloading

I would concur with having both. The 243 is good for woodland stalking and fox control while the 308 is good on the hill. You have a backup rifle if one has a problem. Also if you are into reloading as the cartridges have the same footprint they can share some of the reloading components.

I use both 243 and 308 so good be a bit biased....

Mulac

+1 on above.. Or go for a 7mm08! I would say that wouldnt i.. better ballistics, flatter and less recoil than a .308.

To be honest about rebarrelling, if your .243 isnt shot out then its a bit of a waste as you will probably spend £600 by the time your finished and you will still have just a T3 to show for it.. (no disrespect!)

So to summise, if your .243 is fine, buy a .308. if the .243 is shot out, rebarrel it in 7mm08!

Why not just have both if the .243 is not worn out?

Or if you cannot afford both or only want one rifle sell the .243 as the price received will pay for a .308 T3 .
Forget 7mm/08 if you are a re-loader as .30 calibre ingredients are in greater profusion and easier to source.
Ignore those who denigrate the T3 models as I have had a couple and both were half-inchers and sound practical tools.

HWH.

You'd be better of buy'n a .308 with what you'd pay for a decent barrel, then you'll have both !!

Rgds, Buck.

if you wnat to rebarrel you t3 do it , the nice thing wth t3's is that you could evan go 30-06 or 270 or 6.5x55 ect just for cost of spare mag,
luke

I had both but to be honest once I got the .308 the .243 seldom came out the cabinet (I only realy do deer). You cant beat a nice custom barrel for accuracy but a standard Tikka in .308 is more than accurate enough I got sub inch with mine with factory fodder.

Good Luck

Dave

I had both but to be honest once I got the .308 the .243 seldom came out the cabinet (I only realy do deer). You cant beat a nice custom barrel for accuracy but a standard Tikka in .308 is more than accurate enough I got sub inch with mine with factory fodder.

Good Luck

Dave
much the same as the above untill i got the 6.5 x55 :D now i share the stalking between the 308 and the 6.5 :D and the 243 has gone ................

Cheers everybody. Its good to get other peoples perspectives on an issue. It would be nice to have rifles in both calibres but I dont think I get out often enough as it is with just one rifle, so I think that to have two would be silly really. If money were no object................ I was thinking more along the lines of trying to save money by having the 243 re-barrelled but I suppose that it might not be worth it in the end. Might be quicker and easier to chuck it in and get a new 308. I do like the T3 though. I think its a good, simple, no nonsense rifle that Im not afraid of getting marked and with the right ammo, it has put sub 1" groups in. Once again, thank you.:D

Hi Glyn

to get a new barrel on the action would be about the £700 mark and i like you only stalk from time to time, (not in the last few days been out 5 times in the same amount of days) i als have a very tight budget now i have been out of work for 4 months and awaiting a spinal op will keep me off the road for some more time.

the crux of the matter for me is this, i really would like a 308 as well as my very nice 243, but

1, keep the slot open and fill it latert when i have the funds.
2 do i really need my 308 as the 243 has not let me down as yet.
3, if you are going to get rid of the 243 for a new 308, sell it privately as you will make a bit more money, and try the new browning A of X bolt. i was stunned to see jusy how cheap they are and how well made they are.

all the best with your choice, i have mad mine.

no new 308 for the time being, keep the stunningly accurate 243 and zeiss scope, spend any spare cash on a new scope for another of my rifles ( or pay some bills with it) the choice is mine :)

bob.

Back