Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scope tube 1" or 30mm

scope tube 1" or 30mm

Could someone please tell me the difference, apart from the obvious , between the 1" tube and the 30mm as it seems to me the 30mm seems preferable to many what does the larger tube have over the other. Thanks guys Brough

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Light gathering would be the second obvious suggetion, it's not just the objective lense that gathers the light. Go the full whack and get 34mm tube.....My PM2 out performs my Swarovski 10x42 EL's

Hope that helps.

TJ

A wider tube allows a larger objective for a shorter body.

Imagine your tube was the thickness of a drinking straw - you'd need a tiny objetive, or a larger objective which would have to fixed at 100m away or something daft like that to allow the focus point to hit where it needs to be.

Greater adjustable range on the turrets.

Davie
    I will go with you can get a short scope with the same light gathering ability

I cant remember where I have read this, but I think it was on one of the big makes websites.

The only thing that a larger tube gives over a narrower one is the amount of windage and height adjustment for the reticle.

It is physically impossible to get more light through a larger tube without increasing the objective lense size, the same light will travel through a 26mm as a 30mm.

Cheers,

J

Quote Originally Posted by jingzy View Post
    I cant remember where I have read this, but I think it was on one of the big makes websites.

The only thing that a larger tube gives over a narrower one is the amount of windage and height adjustment for the reticle.

It is physically impossible to get more light through a larger tube without increasing the objective lense size, the same light will travel through a 26mm as a 30mm.

Cheers,

J
    That may be true on some of the cheaper makes of scope where they just stuff the same internals into their 30mm scopes as they do in their 1" ones, but with good quality lenses the wider tube does have the advantages mentioned in the other replies.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

The tube size has nothing to do with increasing light performance. Take a 8x56 scope with either 30mm or 1" tube.
    Objective lens collects light (56mm) exit pupil delivers (7mm). 1" or 30mm, both collect the same light, both deliver the same light (all things being equal with glass types, coatings etc). The 30mm will normally have a larger adjustment range.

The tube size can make a difference in your pocket, if you need to buy new mounts!!

+1 to Jingsy - the only difference is in the range of adjustment, so for stalking purposes it probably doesn't matter. I suppose a 1 inch tube might sit a gnat's lower?

Andrew