Fixed or variable barrel rifle?

Roch

Fixed or variable barrel rifle?
I would like to hear from the owners of those two types of rifles.

Are the “variable” ones build strongly enough for everyday use?
Cheers,
Dawid

I have been using a Sauer 202 "variable" (Ithink you mean "switch barrel") barrel rifle for the last 15 years and it's never missed a beat. Having said that, I've not had the barrel off it more than a couple of times, just to, a) to see how quickly it could come off and go on again, and b) to see if the point of impact changed afterwards. Thae answers were, a) very quickly, and b) No.
I was going to get a second barrel and bolt for it in 243 the other year, but finances meant it was more feasible for me at the time to buy a complete second rifle instead. A second hand Winchester Mod 70 with mod and scope was only £100 dearer then the secondhand barrel and bolt I was looking at.

I have a Mauser M03 with 6.55 and 300 win mag barrels. no problems with anything. Zero smack on each time they are switched or even for just removed for a good clean. The scope comes off in a couple of seconds too with no impact on zero (with my scopes anyway). GO for it !

not a centre fire but I have a sako quad with four barrels.
in practice I only use 3 of them regularly and one of those more regularly than the others.
you won't notice a difference once fitted and the flexibility and space in the cabinet is appreciated

This is the think If you add all the costs of 2 barrel new bolt head and magazine you will have to pay about £1000. Would you use sauer 202 for everyday stalking?

I don't see why you would not use a Sauer 202 for everyday stalking.

Pro's
You have one mechanism to get used to.
You can switch barrels.

Cons.
Costs of new barrels/magazines/bolt equals the cost of a new rifle. (but you can always buy them second hand.)

This is the think If you add all the costs of 2 barrel new bolt head and magazine you will have to pay about £1000. Would you use sauer 202 for everyday stalking?
Don't see why not. I used mine for just about all my stalking for about 14 years untill I got the 243. The 243 now gets more use than the Sauer, but I still take it out quite often.

I know very little about rifles so forgive me if this is a stupid question but if you had a takedown in 243 would you need to change anything more than the barrel to go to 7-08 or 308 as i believe they are the same cartridge. As you would need a different scope for each barrel it would save very little i think?????

I know very little about rifles so forgive me if this is a stupid question but if you had a takedown in 243 would you need to change anything more than the barrel to go to 7-08 or 308 as i believe they are the same cartridge. As you would need a different scope for each barrel it would save very little i think?????

Taking the Sauer 202 as an example swapping between .243 and 308 is just a simple barrel change.

Regarding the scope you can get one with Ballistic turrets and note the adjustments between the 2 barrels

Taking the Sauer 202 as an example swapping between .243 and 308 is just a simple barrel change....

Unfortunately, this is just not the case with the Sauer 202.

For reasons unknown, Sauer decided to produce the 243 and 22/250 bolt and barrel assembly with 3 lug bolt. All other calibre's in the range use a 6 lug bolt.

So you could use a 25/06, 6.5x55, 270, 308, 30/06 etc all with the same bolt, but not the 22/250 or 243. Shame really as one of the small rounds paired with one of the large would be a natural combination, do you think this is a coincidence....:-|

This does not apply to Blaser as the same bolt head and bolt assembly will accomodate all .473" head sized cases. Blaser barrels come with the appropriate sized magazine insert as standard.

I know that Blaser R93 and Sauer 202 are the most popular rifles with changing barrel systems but does any one have experience with Heym sr21 or 30?

Cheers,
Dawid

Back