Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smock/stalking jacket

Smock/stalking jacket

I have been looking at a range of dirrent smocks. I want something for all round use, so for beating in, and mostly stalking.
    My options are:-
    Rivers west pro smock.
    Stoney Creek smock. (from Bushwear)
    or the one I like but have been told to steer clear from bushwear, is the Swazi Smock.
    What do you guys use, or what would you reccomend?

Hi 12bore
    i have had the rivers west smock and bib for 12 months , and have give them some hard work . stalking 7 days a week . and thay have turned away all the wind and rain . would recomend them very highly

all the best
    mike

Have the pro field smock also, great gear.

Here is a link to a previous post about rivers west smock and clothing http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ht=rivers+west

Quote Originally Posted by calton moor range View Post
    Hi 12bore
    i have had the rivers west smock and bib for 12 months , and have give them some hard work . stalking 7 days a week . and thay have turned away all the wind and rain . would recomend them very highly

all the best
    mike
    Mike, after seeking advice on this forum I tried to order what I wanted from John Forsey, unfortunately (or so i thought at the time) they did not have the Max 4 pattern i wanted in the smock. After deciding to buy the smock i had several PM's telling me to beware of the Rivers West gear as it was not very breathable.

Can you assure me it is a good breathable fabric?

Simon.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I always thought Breathable only worked if you had breathable vest ,pants trousers and jacket
    otherwise the moisture does not wick away
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    beware of the Rivers West gear as it was not very breathable...Can you assure me it is a good breathable fabric?
    It's good gear - waterproof, windproof and well made - but I can assure you that it is definitely not breatheable. If you're doing a lot of strenuous work in it you will sweat like a fat man in a sauna.

All depends on your needs. If you're moving around at a slow pace it is fine, if you're tanking up steep hills you will be soaked in perspiration.

IMHO anthing that sounds like a plastic feed bag when you move around it is unlikely to be breathable. Mate of mine wore his out lamping a few nights back, it really got on my tits. His jacket crackling and my deerhunter hitena trousers, if they had they called it tarpaulin i would have none what to expect and not bought them.

Rant over!!

I've had a Swazi Tahr anorak for the past 4 years. It's my go to stalking jacket, but i find i wear it nearly every day anyway. Wouldn't be without it now, and i would buy another one if i had to.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

have you thought about nomad
    its the only clothing i wear when out in the scottish hills

I bought a Nomad hill smock from parastalker, he had lost weight and kept getting lost in it, and I have been very impressed so far with it.

It is quiet.

It is breathable (but very warm).

It is waterproof, astoundingly so.

There is only one down side to them, and that is the price.

I would love to own a Nomad zipped hill smock and a pair of plus 3's/4's but that would be the best part of £610. And for that I can get an Arktis waterproof smock, two pairs of their waterproof trousers and have £200+ change!

Which to me is a no-brainer.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.