looking for a camera

I am looking for some advice/recommendations for cameras. I don't want a small compact joby but don't want a huge thing with inter-changable lenses. I have been told that 'bridge' cameras are probably what I need. These are a half way house between the other two and apparently only the one lense is needed able to go from big telephoto performance down to wide angle with just the one lense. Does anyone know anything about them particularly using in the field.

I have had a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 for a long time now and some of my pictures on this site have been taken with it.
It has an 18X zoom Leica lense of excellent quality.
The 35mm equiv. of this lense would be 28-504 mm.
It also has in-built editing and macro facilities.

Look on E.Bay, you may find a bargain.

HWH.

I have a Lumix GH1 which is the sort of thing you are after.

I might be tempted to part with it for the right price as I use a Nikon D90 now for all my wildlife work.

One important thing about buying a bridge camera is to not get sucked in buy sales chat like:
"The 35mm equiv. of this lense would be 28-504 mm" Sorry stag.

That is an equivalent aspect ratio not ZOOM which is what you are after in a telephoto lens.

This explains what I mean Focal Length Multiplier: Optical: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

UTTER BUNKUM.
On the Leica lense barrel it states :-

18x
OPTICAL ZOOM

MEGA O.I.S
28mm WIDE

35mm EQUIV.
28-504

Are you suggesting Leica do not know what they are up to ?

HWH.

Currently there are some DMC-FZ28s on E.Bay .
This is the one which came out after my model.
They too have an 18X zoom lense.

You may pick up a bargain there.

HWH.

UTTER BUNKUM.
On the Leica lense barrel it states :-

18x
OPTICAL ZOOM

MEGA O.I.S
28mm WIDE

35mm EQUIV.
28-504

Are you suggesting Leica do not know what they are up to ?

HWH.

No I am saying they use confusing technical terms to fool you. Look at the website I posted and you will understand better.

But of course don't listen to me and don't do any research and go on the marketing material that is designed to sell the product.

I have a GH1 which has 28-280mm equivalent. I also have the Nikon D90 with a 300mm Lens and I have not touched the GH1 since i got the D90.

2 pictures that where taken at about the same range.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...50210428378338_506123337_8670058_952663_n.jpg

VS

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...0210428178338_506123337_8670054_3067892_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have been using this Panasonic product with considerable success for some years and the wording is not an evil ploy to deprive the unwary of their shekels or euros.
Have a read of the Panasonic literature !
I was taking pictures before the word `website`came into being. As a nipper my first camera was a box Brownie which took a 120 film and was about the size of a small loaf of bread. [ Hovis of course ! ]

HWH.

Then you should understand that the modern bridge camera sensor is not the same size as 35mm film.

Most are 1.5 times smaller than 35mm film so when you take a photo and upscale it by the aspect ratio of 1.5 times they you end up with the 35mm equivalent which is not the same as having that on a zoom as it effects the photo quality.

Don't get me wrong the Bridge cameras are very good for their size but they will never compete like they will have you believe with the standard DSLR.

Last edited:
Are 35mm cameras dead in the water.. the reason i ask is i have a brand new Olympus OM2 spot programme which has never had film in it and several lenses and flash....

Last edited:
Are 35mm cameras dead in the water.. the reason i ask is i have a brand new Olympus OM2 spot programme which has never had film in it and several lenses and flash....

More or less !
I have a Nikon F601 body. a 28-70mm lense and a 105mm Micro Nikkor lense for disposal, all boxed and virtually as new but I am afraid the days of the film camera are numbered.

HWH.

Back