Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A wonky knee and a few steep hills.......

A wonky knee and a few steep hills.......

As a VERY quick recap, earlier this year I fell off my son's BMX bike....and trashed my left knee. Shredded the cartilage and sheared my anterior cruciate ligament, so a proper job . I had keyhole surgery at the start of September to trim the ripped cartilage and haul out all the detached bits, and was facing the prospect of having an ACL reconstruction using a section of one of my hamstrings....According to the Surgeon "It was a real mess in there..."

Fast-forward slightly to mid-Sept: a post-op review, and the Consultant said that he was pleased with my progress - I had been doing all my physio like a good lad - and that if I were sensible, I could go shooting and stalking this season (...and a mate did point out that if I were anything like sensible, then I "wouldn't be sat in his f*****g office in the first place having fallen off a f*****g child's bike!!").So what did I do? Booked a day on the hill, obviously! Firstly, to give me summat to look forward to, but also to make sure that I didn't lose focus on maintaining my physio regime - I knew that my legs needed to be in reasonable fettle, especially my left knee given that "bits of it on the inside are hanging on by a shred" (thanks Surgeon!)

Last Thursday found me heading up the motorway, rifle and gear stowed, and with equal measures of excitement and trepidation.....I was obviously hoping that my knee would hold out, but I hadn't really thought through a plan just in case it gave way at the top of a big hill. The stalker reassured me by saying that if he could drag a red stag out, he could drag me out - and he'd even try and avoid the rocks on the way down so I didn't tw*t my head!! With my mind put at ease (), off we went....with some emergency super-duper strength painkillers squirrelled away, just in case......

I'll let the pics do most of the talking, but suffice to say that I had two on the floor after around 45 minutes, a couple of occasions when I had to haul my left leg out of gloopy mud by heaving on the top of my gaiter rather than twisting it out, some very slow and very careful descents and ascents when it got rather steep, and then a 3rd down after an arduous 45 minute uphill stalk, culminating in a successful 150yd shot.....and best of all, my knee was fine!!

If anyone glimpsed a big-eared buffoon grinning like a Cheshire cat whilst driving home last Thursday, that was me! (In all seriousness, I could have had a blank day and it wouldn't have mattered, I was just delighted that my knee was ok.....back in the game!!)

Attachment 10513Attachment 10514Attachment 10515Attachment 10517Attachment 10518
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Picture 2,4,5 and 6 WOW!!!!! Cracking pictures good stalk and your knees getting better what more could you want!! Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by wikedwickedmotox View Post
    Picture 2,4,5 and 6 WOW!!!!! Cracking pictures good stalk and your knees getting better what more could you want!! Well done.
    Kelly Brooke to carry my sandwiches?
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Thats the last thing she would be holding of mine!!!!!!!

Good news on the knee,a great day, amazing pictures of the fells and a stalk.

Good to see you back out amongst it Merlin
    Lovely pics!

SD Regular
    A grand day out gromit
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

Glad the op proved a success Merlin. Great photos, I'm up that way on Dec 5th, can't wait.
    Nick

Well done, mate. Glad to see you're back in fighting form and getting amongst it. Hope we can re-arange our joint trip for early in 2012 (the delay might just give me a chance to get fit for the hill)

was there a car full of old folk to kidnap you?
    or was that just me with a bad knee and hills?