Thread: Here is some High Seat Plans from Shooting Times in 2004

Here is some High Seat Plans from Shooting Times in 2004

I found these plans in an old issue of Shooting Times (June 2004).

If any body wants a pdf version of these plans please PM me with your e-mail address and I will sent you a copy.

I'm going to build one this week and see how it performs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	High Seat Plans 001.jpg 
Views:	659 
Size:	407.1 KB 
ID:	10520Click image for larger version. 

Name:	High Seat Plans 002.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	587.3 KB 
ID:	10521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	High Seat Plans 003.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	509.0 KB 
ID:	10522
    Last edited by colly1612; 21-11-2011 at 21:27.

Poor design IMHO.

their good , put the steps on the tree side and they slide on and off pickups or trailers better

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    Poor design IMHO.
    What part of this design is poor?

I would like to know cos then I might be able to make some changes to the design before I start and make one later this week.

the top steps are too low, shooter has to struggle for foothold. the shooting board is too high (IMHO). the runner supporting the seat and the ladder should be thicker and stronger, at least in my book. there are other small improvements one could make, but those spring to mind as essentials.

Steps are too wide. As the timber dries it would be prone to cracling. I have a design same result but everything is done to get it as strong as possible without over timbering. Also it is fine with that nice tree, If lihe us they go on a nice sitka spruce it would roll round the trunk like nobody's business. I usually try to leave a branch that I tierap to the shooting frame to minimise roll. As can be seen I build the ladder seperately. The two elements are easily carried by one person over long distances. One set is over half a mile from the road with only me there. Two lifts, first ladder and roe sack with poersaw and tools. second seat and frame. The ladder was sued independently to clear lower branches (very handy) First ime out I dropped a nice 6 pointer at 217m That is how steady and stiff it was. You need 3 x 4,8m 3x2, 2 lengths, 2x2, one length 6x1 sarkiing and 10 x 110mm m10 coach bolts plus some screw. Shooting rail is easily adjusted with a battery drill. Much stiffer than the 2004 design and user friendly. The independent ladder is great and it is not as noisy as steel and less attractive to the travelling public. ATB Jim
    Attachment 10603Attachment 10604Attachment 10602
    Last edited by jimbo123p; 25-11-2011 at 13:57.

The steps are too wide , come on chaps , you use a tape , measure yourself and build them to suit yourself

Established Poster
    I made one of these from the plans when Shooting Times published them. It's stood the test of time very well having stood outside since '04. I made it from tannalised 'D' section fencing rail and it was very easy to make and hasn't cracked or come loose despite being moved on a number of occassions. It's a wide single which is very comfortable but not wide enough for two so if making again I would reduce the width dimensions slightly to make it lighter as I only need a single. The position of the footrest step and shooting board can be easily modified during construction to produce a 'custom' fit.

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    The steps are too wide , come on chaps , you use a tape , measure yourself and build them to suit yourself
    Thats the best way. This one's made of jump poles, half round rails and 2in x 1 3/4in.

Attachment 10627