Break down rifle

Why? Saur, Swiss arms both break down with tools. I do have my doubts about the James bond rifle in a suit case!

I gather you mean one of the Single shots the break open like a shotgun or a double rifle?

Now thee are several models and makes that can be had in the former a single barrel single shot break action rifle for the cheaper like the Baikal MH18 and Rossi to the skies the limit like the Ferlach hand made guns. In between there is the rather expensive, to me anyway, Blaser, Heym and Chapuis.

Same I suppose could be said about Double what with the Baikal double rifle available in 30-06.

As for other break down rifles sorry don't know.

I gather you mean one of the Single shots the break open like a shotgun or a double rifle?

Now thee are several models and makes that can be had in the former a single barrel single shot break action rifle for the cheaper like the Baikal MH18 and Rossi to the skies the limit like the Ferlach hand made guns. In between there is the rather expensive, to me anyway, Blaser, Heym and Chapuis.

Same I suppose could be said about Double what with the Baikal double rifle available in 30-06.

As for other break down rifles sorry don't know.

:rofl:

I'm only guessing here, but I think the expression our O.P. might have been searching for was... "take-down".

If he wants to shoot boar abroad .30-06 is a fair choice but some countries don't allow military cartridges.

Personally I've never been attracted to take-downs, as such, though I do have a rifle in .30-06 and I'm very pleased with it. However, at the moment I've got a definite hankering for one you didn't mention, i.e. a Merkel... double, possibly chambered to .30r Blaser... which is basically a rimmed cartridge that will give a close approximation to .30-06 performance in a "break open" rifle and has the dual advantages of being able to be dismantled for compact transportation and is not a military cartridge and being a double that second shot is right there waiting for you to use. We can all dream... or maybe I just need to save harder :D

Sauer, Blaser or Mauser 03 will all do the job. The beauty of these rifles is that they can pack down into a short case for travelling.

If it is purely for portability you want this rifle and don't intend to add more barrels, the Sauer 202 is the best option.

I saw a Sauer Hitari down at Steve Beatty's, I doubt there are many nicer take down rifles out there, especially at that price.

Simon

How about a Thompson Center Encore? Accurate and rugged.~Muir

Hmmm sorry Muir no barf emoticon ........................... Bruce Potts had one when I first met him at the club .................... horrid things to my mind. hate to say this but I really think even a rem 700 is better. Arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :banghead:.

Hmmm sorry Muir no barf emoticon ........................... Bruce Potts had one when I first met him at the club .................... horrid things to my mind. hate to say this but I really think even a rem 700 is better. Arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :banghead:.

Apples and oranges Brit. You have to campare like with like surely?

I have an M03, although mine is a plastic M03 Extreme, they do some nice wood on some of the models. They take down nicely and the bolt is a work of art in itself. But the Sauer, Blaser & Mauser rifle companies are owned by the same people, all do take down rifles and all are very well made.

Simon

Apples and oranges Brit. You have to campare like with like surely?

I have an M03, although mine is a plastic M03 Extreme, they do some nice wood on some of the models. They take down nicely and the bolt is a work of art in itself. But the Sauer, Blaser & Mauser rifle companies are owned by the same people, all do take down rifles and all are very well made.

Simon

Simon I thought my dislike of the Remington 700 was well enough known for it to be understood how unfavorably I feel about the Encore.

A bit more info about what you were thinking about would be good.

The nicest break-down single shots that I've ever seen are the Peter Hofer, Peter Nelson and Hartmann & Weiss sidelock actioned rifles. For a more off the shelf option but with a sturdy reputation and some nice wood available would be the Blaser K95. In Europe, they tend to be considered more of a mountain rifle or stalking rifle, rather than a driven boar rifle, but no reason why it wouldn't work well in a .30-06, but I'd consider a rimmed round such as the 8x57 or 9,3x74.

Personally, I really like the falling block single shots, particularly the Hagn action.

If you mean't a break-down/take-down bolt action rifle, there are many and some have been mentioned. Blaser R3, Mauser M03, Sauer, etc. If your tastes are more bespoke/custom, the Johannsen Mauser 98 can be had in a take-down version.

Depends what you want...the main makes have all been mentioned in these posts. Also mentioned is .30-06 being a military calibre, which cannot be taken to or through countries prohibiting military calibres. France being the nearest!
If you can, pick a non military calibre instead of .30-06.

I have a Blaser K95 - excellent accuracy including using the open sights. Dismantles to an easy portable size just like a shotgun. Great rifle & worth every penny.
Doubles are available from Blaser too. Cheers, :tiphat:

So YOU have never actually owned or used one then?? I have. I still have a TC chassis for various barrels. What were your objections?? ~Muir

So YOU have never actually owned or used one then?? I have. I still have a TC chassis for various barrels. What were your objections?? ~Muir

Muir no I have not owned one and will not give house room to one. As for shooting them well yes I did as a matter of fact and it shot reasonably well but it looks and feels, to me at least, cheap and tacky. It was custom barrelled in some .22 centre fire wildcat I think. I know he was extremely pleased with it and it was custom stocked with very nice wood but I do not like he look of those frames and as I said to me they look cheap.

The Baikal MH18 I had felt much better and cost a fraction what an Encore would have done. The Encore I shot, as I mentioned above, belonged to Bruce Potts. This was way before he started writing about guns. We belonged to the same club. In fact that was before he started filming his video:-

A year in the Life of the Roe deer ............................ which was released by Sylvan films if I recall correctly.

Now it's OK you can like them ................................................ I really don't mind ;) but there are far better take downs and break down rifles out there at least in my opinion :cool:.

I haven't seen one in the flesh, but it looks like the new range of take-down TCs are getting good press at the moment. I saw one being shot in a video and it looks much better quality than the ones I remember of old.

I have a TC .22 Rimfire Benchmark. When I took it to a well respected gunsmith to get it threaded, he said that it was a pleasure to work on a modern firearm that had a steel receiver and was so well made. Cant say anything about the rest of the range but my personal experience is that they are a quality modern firearm.

Back