Thread: Red stag browsing.

Red stag browsing.

Red stag browsing.
    HWH.

Great photo & great stag 1933.
    Thanks for sharing .
    No doubt that was six months ago,the boys down here are about the same stage as that now.
    I hope I'm not being rude by asking (culuural differences & convict stock,you know what I mean,no offence ment).
    Is he of "Park" origin?
    If so, which one? Warnham,Woburn,etc?
    Great rights on him,do you think (has) his back tine split again for a double seven (or more).
    Please share as much of your experience as your willing to.

Cheers Sharkey

[QUOTE=sharkey;286514]Great photo & great stag 1933.
    Thanks for sharing .
    No doubt that was six months ago,the boys down here are about the same stage as that now.
    I hope I'm not being rude by asking (culuural differences & convict stock,you know what I mean,no offence ment).
    Is he of "Park" origin?
    If so, which one? Warnham,Woburn,etc?

HI.
    I took that picture in Scotland some years ago before a massacre wiped most of them out.
    I do not know where the original blood-line came from but it was one from a herd of supreme wild Reds.

It had all its`rights`, brows, bays [bez], trays [trez] and triple tops on both sides and was what we call a `ROYAL`.
    I took many pictures there over the years prior to that cull. The last time I visited during the rut I saw no deer and did not hear a stag roar.

HWH.

Thanks stag1933

Its a shame to hear about such an event.
    Certainly a great 4 YO (my guess) stag,lets hope they can be restored.

Down here I hear rumours about the sika hybridising with the native reds there,how bad is this?
    Is there any pure C.e Scotticus left in the UK?
    Have they been made extinct by pollution from park deer C.e hippelaphus & sika?
    If any remain pure are they valued ?
    Love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers Sharkey

Sika readily inter-breed with Reds given the opportunity. Co.Wicklow, Eire is a prime example of this.
    These are fertile hybrids which can pass on their undesireable genes and further muddy the gene pool.
    I have shot many Sika there, some Reds and some hybrids.
    If I can find it I will put up a picture of a Red, a Sika and a Hybrid all shot during a week in Wicklow many years ago.

HWH.

Sika, Red and Hybrid, Co. Wicklow, Southern Ireland.
    HWH.

Thanks for that stag1933.
    Believe it or not I first caught the deer bud in Ireland with sika in 1970 as a boy.
    1972 saw me on the beaches in Sydney.76 I was in a hunting club & bitten again by the deer bug.It's progressivly gotten worse.LOL
    I see you've a wonderfull collection of photos,& memories.Thats gold,I hope its well recorded.

How much hybridisation is occuring in England & Scotland?
    Is there any pure indigenious red deer left?
    What will the future hold for them?

Cheers Sharkey

I was first over in Ireland as a shooting member of the England D.T. L. clay-pigeon team in 1971 and at the International Banquet I was introduced to a stalking member of the Irish shooting team who was also a member of a Wicklow stalking syndicate.
    We arranged shooting exchanges and thus it has continued with the son of one of the originals shooting Roe here with us this summer.

Fortunately the hybridisation is localised in England and Scotland but it remains a serious threat to the species.
    The problem arises mainly when a horny, travelling Sika stag finds Red hinds in oestrus which very recently have had their own Red stag bumped off.

HWH.

Thanks again stag1933
    Great insight.

Cheers Sharkey