Thread: 25-06

25-06

Hi guys does anyone have a 25-06 for both fox and deer? as i have put in for a variation and the feo has asked the question if i want to consolidate my .223 and the 6.5 x 55 i have put in for the occasional deer. the majority of my shooting is at foxes and i like the idea of only having 1 rifle but dont really believe in going for bare minimum in as much as going for the .243.

mark

yes have 25-06 for fox and deer changing 22/250 for it no bother for use mainly at foxes but wanted another red deer legal rifle as all my ground has red on it although use 308 on deer generally,always prefer to have 2 separate rifles in case of problem with one!

If the majority of your shooting is at foxes i would stick with the 2 calibres , i have a 25-06 that is conditioned for deer /fox - the fox being "a target of opportunity if out stalking" , its a very good all round calibre (imo) but having just reminded myself that i have 5 different CF calibres i am not the best example of 1 rifle for all !
    PS 6.5x55 is my favourite and would also be a good allround choice for a single calibre
    but i like my .223 as well - nice and light , easy to trudge about with all day ...........

what i am getting at is its down to you , calibre dilemma's are a well trodden path on the forum
    whatever you do make sure its what you want to do and not what an feo has talked you into

I quote from my FAC (North Yorkshire)

" The 25-06 rifle serial number #####, 25-06 sound moderator and ammunition shall be used for shooting DEER and FOXES and for zeroing on ranges and land over which ..................."

He can't be very experienced if he is querying this and any way if you have shown a good enough reason surely that should be sufficient.
    TonyC

Quote Originally Posted by Rowie View Post
    Hi guys does anyone have a 25-06 for both fox and deer? as i have put in for a variation and the feo has asked the question if i want to consolidate my .223 and the 6.5 x 55 i have put in for the occasional deer. the majority of my shooting is at foxes and i like the idea of only having 1 rifle but dont really believe in going for bare minimum in as much as going for the .243.

mark
    I think what you're saying is that you have a .223 authorised 'for Fox', and want to add a bigger calibre for (occasional) Deer. You've applied for a 6.55x55, but your FEO is advising you to limit yourself to a single rifle which will do both.

I take your point about the .243 being an unsuitable candidate for an all-round rifle.I don't think the 'bare minimum' for Deer is the best choice here. The Home Office Guidance which your FEO should be following says either .25-06 or 6.5mm is suitable for both uses. The .25-06 is noisier, and maybe more OTT for Fox than the 6.5 is. The 6.5 has a broader range of uses than the .25-06.

If you prefer to stick to ONE rifle then stick to your 6.5 Variation. Alternatively, you could still keep your .223 and double your justifcation for it by adding Muntjac/CWD (E&W) as an additional Good Reason.

The scottish posters don't have this string to their bow, but they do have Roe in greater numbers than we have to fall back on, and can get authorisation for .22CF too which we can't.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I think the 25-06 is probably the best cal in your situation if you only want the one rifle. If you want to shoot the odd deer on fox outings then 25-06 would be close to ideal. If you have the opportunity to go on specific deer days then perhaps a a different rifle would be better.

I have a 25-06 and a 22-250. I rarely take the 22-250 out the cabinet now as I use the 25-06 for everything. A great calibre in my opinion.

Atb,
    Nelson.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowie View Post

mark
    Hi mark i load and use a 25.06 rem I load 75g hornady heads 56 g powder for fox's and 115g BT nosler 53g powder for deer.Or 100g for roe
    With a zero check the gun is always ready to go .Look at the ballistics chart to see the speeds of them .A great caliber gun. regards brian