Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: east anglian red deer research

east anglian red deer research

Evening all, not sure if this is the right section for the following comment but...

For you interest (particually all stalkers in Norfolk/Suffolk) check out the following:

www.deertags.org.uk

We are trying to do some research into red deer movements around the Breckland area and any help from keen tag spotters would be great.

Thanks

Chris

does anyone know of other studies like this carried out on other species, i find the spread of Muntjac very interesting?

Norma Chapman did some movement research on muntjac in Kings Forest nr Thetford some years ago, can't remember the results but probablly in one of her books.

Thanks Chris i'll have looked at her books.

Allow me be a little cynical for a minute! I have just looked at the website and ok it is simple to be involved, and reporting tags is simple if the animal is still alive, but isn't this a way of just protecting particular animals? You start putting tags on animals and then it doesn't become clear whether it is an escaped park deer or a wild animal. To then shoot it would be a risk on anyones behalf.

A cynical deer stalker, never!

The deer are wild and we always tag with the same combinations to say which area they have come from. As said on the website it would be great if people could not shoot a tagged deer to prolong the programme but we would rather know that it is dead so we don't keep wondering what happened to it. A small number have been shot in the area that we know of and this has provided us with some very good info. The best result to date shows that hinds with dependant calves move upto 20 miles, which I reckon is a long way for lowland reds considering all the roads, towns ,houses and rifles they have to navigate.

As usual the wild deer we are tracking belong to whoevers land they are on.

Occasionally some farm deer are reported as possible tagged deer but the tags do not match our combinations.

ys

chris

Quote Originally Posted by southern_stalker View Post
    Allow me be a little cynical for a minute! I have just looked at the website and ok it is simple to be involved, and reporting tags is simple if the animal is still alive, but isn't this a way of just protecting particular animals? You start putting tags on animals and then it doesn't become clear whether it is an escaped park deer or a wild animal. To then shoot it would be a risk on anyones behalf.
    think you may be missing the point the tags are not to protect the said red deer but should they be spotted ,shot ,hit by a vehicle then the tag will allow the guys running the website to see how far from the original tag site the animal has travelled .the guys running the tagging will i am sure not condem someone shooting a tagged deer so long as it is in season why would they ,i have been on the tagging days myself and find it very interesting and hope it will allow stalkers to understand some more about the red in and around norfolk/suffolk
    kind regards
    norma
    looks like you beat me to the keyboard chris sorry
    Last edited by norma 308; 24-11-2011 at 19:29.

cheque in post!

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    think you may be missing the point the tags are not to protect the said red deer but should they be spotted ,shot ,hit by a vehicle then the tag will allow the guys running the website to see how far from the original tag site the animal has travelled .the guys running the tagging will i am sure not condem someone shooting a tagged deer so long as it is in season why would they ,i have been on the tagging days myself and find it very interesting and hope it will allow stalkers to understand some more about the red in and around norfolk/suffolk
    kind regards
    norma
    looks like you beat me to the keyboard chris sorry
    I am not missing the point, just trying to ascertain how a stalker would be able to tell the difference between an animal tagged by 'the project' and an escaped park deer? Although you would prefer tagged deer to be left alone, if a stalker has a cull target, he may not have a choice and shoots it, thinking its one of your tagged deer and it then transpires it is an escaped park deer, that is the property of park it came from as it is livestock. He shot it thinking it was from the project and now is in trouble! Could you post some pics of some of deer you have tagged and the type of tagging you do so this mistake will not happen!

I wouldn't worry too much about it Southern Stalker, I doubt if any of the tagged animals will make it as far as Somerset!

JC