Two cabinets required?

adjman

My other half tried clay shooting a little while back at Bisley Live with the BASC coaches and loved it, so she is saving up for a 20 bore Browning Cynergy. She will be applying for her SGC once she has the money and therefore will be using the same cabinet for her application as I used for mine and I intend to use for my FAC some time next year.

A sudden thought occurred to me, as and when I get my FAC for a rifle, we will be using the same cabinet - however she only has an SGC and would not be allowed to have access to the cabinet as it contained a firearm she was not legally allowed access to, but it also holds the shotgun she is licensed for.

Would having the rifle bolt secured in a separate, locked safe be enough or would we have to purchase a second cabinet - one for the rifle and another for our two shotguns?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had the same or similar problem as to how their FEO or COoP dealt with this.

Depends on your FEO really. Some will allow a separate method of securing the weapon inside the cabinet, a good padlock and steel rope through the trigger guard is sometimes considered sufficient.

You could always go for separate cabinets, that way you will have more space for guns before the plod consider your cabinet full! ;)

I have no wisdom to offer here but would be very interested to hear the views of others. I know many people with children/wives that shoot that keep all the weapons in one cabinet but having said that they are mostly shotguns and not firearms which might make a difference.

they are mostly shotguns and not firearms which might make a difference.

Paul, it makes a very big difference - firearms have much tighter controls and you are in breach of the law if anyone but the FAC holder even knows where the keys are kept for a cabinet with a firearm in it.

A sudden thought occurred to me, as and when I get my FAC for a rifle, we will be using the same cabinet.

You will very likely have to change that idea. As far as access to your S1 Firearm(s) goes she would be classified as an “unauthorised person”, meaning any person who does not have a certificate allowing them to possess the guns of the holder.

Have a gander at the HO Firearms Security Handbook and you'll see where the FLD will be coming from.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/public...k-2005/firearms-security-handbook?view=Binary

Note that although it states, "This advice must always be tempered with common sense and a view to the distinctive conditions that surround the application", I suspect that it refers in the main to physical location etc. You'll be up against it to get them to change their minds and allow access in any way to your S1 Firearm. Bite the bullet and get two cabinets - you'll no doubt fill the space.

The easy way round this if it is acceptable to you both is for you to hold the keys and give her her shotgun when she asks.

Paul, it makes a very big difference - firearms have much tighter controls and you are in breach of the law if anyone but the FAC holder even knows where the keys are kept for a cabinet with a firearm in it.
Absolutely correct, best get two cabinets or better still share all the guns if possible

There should be no great issue here if you can comply and get the FEO to agree to the following procedure. You hold the guns (shotguns along with your rifles) in YOUR cabinet and you and you alone have access. This means that your partner will be reliant on you to retrieve and deposit her shotgun(s) for her with no access by her to your keys.

For the first year of my SGC my wife was not comfortable in having a gun in the house, so my M8 agreed to hold it in his cabinet. Strathclyde Police agreed to this as long as he and he alone entered the cabinet. I have since chnaged this procedure having an FAC and SGC.

If the above cannot be agreed then separate cabinets will be required.

That's what I thought folks and thanks for your advice. We don't currently have room for two cabinets so I guess she is just going to have to ask me nicely when she wants to go shooting ;) It's not that much of a big deal and I know she won't mind as I will most likely be going shooting with her anyway. The only issue would be if I was away for a few days I guess. Mind you I am most likely to be away stalking and we know a couple of other people who could "borrow" her shotgun for the 72 hour limit and keep it in their cabinet for her.

Come on, there's ALWAYS more room for another cabinet! The FEO will likely be happy if it's in a different part of the house, spreads the risk a bit.

Come on, there's ALWAYS more room for another cabinet! The FEO will likely be happy if it's in a different part of the house, spreads the risk a bit.
Not if we want to open the washing machine door! ;)

Unfortunately we live in quite a small converted barn and all the internal walls (where most of the cupboards are) are plasterboard. The only hidden place that has load bearing walls is our downstairs cupboard which is where my current 3 gun cabinet is. There is nowhere else - no loft space and no cupboards with load bearing/solid walls.

I may just have to buy a slimline washing machine to resolve this.... ;)

Just get her to apply for her fac at same time she gets her shotgun license problem solved you can share the cabinet then !

Not if we want to open the washing machine door! ;)

Unfortunately we live in quite a small converted barn and all the internal walls (where most of the cupboards are) are plasterboard. The only hidden place that has load bearing walls is our downstairs cupboard which is where my current 3 gun cabinet is. There is nowhere else - no loft space and no cupboards with load bearing/solid walls.

I may just have to buy a slimline washing machine to resolve this.... ;)

Have you considered a "break down" cabinate. They are a lot smaller.

Have you considered a "break down" cabinate. They are a lot smaller.

That's a thought, then the other half could keep her shotgun in that and I can use the full size 3 gun cabinet for the rifle - thanks :)

Go for more cabinets, Myself, my wife and my son all shoot, we have three six gun cabinets with only me having access to the cabinet with the rifles in (only myself with firearms, wife and son SGC), result is property is now listed as safe for more guns than we ever could need. :D

The cabinet provides security against theft. Inside the cabinet, the rifle can be secured with a security cable, your wife won’t have access without a key so you keep control.

The cabinet provides security against theft. Inside the cabinet, the rifle can be secured with a security cable, your wife won’t have access without a key so you keep control.

Exactly. Just replace one of the rawl bolts inside the cabinet with one with an eye and get a steel rope. For your wife to be granted a SGC she has gone through the same security checks she would for a FAC. The only difference being that she doesn't need to show good reason. Of course she could snip through the cable but equally I would bet I could get into any gun cabinet given a couple of minutes and an angle grinder! On the whole that should be fine and means she can always remove or deposit the gun in your absence.

Exactly. Just replace one of the rawl bolts inside the cabinet with one with an eye and get a steel rope. For your wife to be granted a SGC she has gone through the same security checks she would for a FAC. The only difference being that she doesn't need to show good reason. Of course she could snip through the cable but equally I would bet I could get into any gun cabinet given a couple of minutes and an angle grinder! On the whole that should be fine and means she can always remove or deposit the gun in your absence.

Excellent idea, and I think that's the way I shall go - I might give my FEO a ring and check that with him, he's a very nice and very reasonable bloke and I'm sure he won't mind me calling to check that out.

Thanks for all the advice folks, very much appreciated :)

Back