LEUPOLD RIFLEMAN 3-9X50 opinion

i had one for a couple of years on my .243. i liked the format and the quality was ok. the turrets do not click but just rotate against resistance. this didnt cause any problems for me.
I dont know how they compare with a vx1. but obviously not as good as the swaro i replaced it with. I shot a lot of deer and fox with this mainly muntie and roe with a few red on the hill and a lot of fox lamping and it held zero perfectly.
I sold it to a lad off here for £80 I think. Should have kept it as a spare really.

Haven't owned one, but used one on my friend's rifle in the USA. Did the job perfectly well, clear, held zero, no complaints. It's at the budget end of the Leupold range, but they sell these by the million in the USA and that must tell you something.

I have a couple of Leupolds, a VXII and a VXIII and they have seen a lot of use in all weathers and never let me down.

Depends on the price. Leupold are rather behind it seems and the Rifleman is their base model and frankly relies upon their name and warranty to sell in the US. Have two older Leupolds a Vari X 111 in 2.5-8 that came on a used rifle and a M8 Compact 4x that's on a rimfire the image is clear but they do not transmit light as well as they could and the reticles are rather fine.

If it's new there better scopes for the money I would have thought.

relies upon their name and warranty to sell in the US

Are you trying to imply that a good name and an outstanding warranty are somehow reasons not to buy a particular brand of scope? :lol: I'm sure that Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B and indeed Leupold would take issue with that point of view!

The Rifleman scope is a budget model but it seems to do the job well enough for the price, you don't see much negative feedback and it has a reputation as a good, basic, no-frills scope. As with any optics, you tend to get what you pay for. If you buy at the budget end of the market you pays your money and takes your chance, but that's not to say there aren't some perfectly decent scopes available, and you'll take less of a chance with a brand with a decent name and warranty.

Are you trying to imply that a good name and an outstanding warranty are somehow reasons not to buy a particular brand of scope? :lol: I'm sure that Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B and indeed Leupold would take issue with that point of view!

The Rifleman scope is a budget model but it seems to do the job well enough for the price, you don't see much negative feedback and it has a reputation as a good, basic, no-frills scope. As with any optics, you tend to get what you pay for. If you buy at the budget end of the market you pays your money and takes your chance, but that's not to say there aren't some perfectly decent scopes available, and you'll take less of a chance with a brand with a decent name and warranty.

OK it seems I had better explain it to you. Leupold charges quite a premium for it's products, always has done and it seems always will, however their products especially those in their lower range are in reality no better and often worse in terms of actual performance then another brand costing less. Leupold have had to change their advertising and stop using the made in USA as a lot of the components if not all of them are made in the Far East. It also seems their esteemed warranty service is now what it used to be either. A friend had to send his scope back twice times before they eventually fixed it. Firstthey said there was nothing wrong with it so he had to remount it and shoot groups on targets then switch scopes and using ammunition from the same batch shoot more targets and send the whole lot to Leupold they finally fixed his scope and despite having used Leupold for some 40+ years he has now vowed never to buy another. I see one of his latest projects, it's a Zavodi 375 H&H with double set triggers, that he built a beautifully figured stock for. Well he pushed the boat out and fitted a Swarovski 3-10-42....:-

I figure a rifle this beautiful needs a top of the line scope!

I see his latest build a 338-6 has a Zeiss Conquest on it on a .22L/R Krico he picked up he put a Konus on it and is pleased with it for the rimfire a 4x32 he feels is fine. Just looked back through that forum and cannot find his post on his Leupold trials and tribulations but I see he seems to have a fair few of the Zeiss Conquests now fitted. Will have to ask him what is on the 30-06 AI he just harvested his Buck with. A 9 pt Whitetail that dressed at 220 lbs shot at a measured 277 yards usign a Nosler ballistic Tip of 150 grain weight.

Just found this comment by him:-

The new ones made by Leopold......P'tooey.

:rofl:. Ahhh found it in answer to a comment made by a member:-

Can't go wrong with Leupold.

The answer is:-

Oh yes you can! Years ago, I saved up my money for a Vari X II 3x9 and mounted on my Zavodi 243. One day I was checking the zero for the upcoming deer season and my tack driver was shooting 3+ inch groups. After 2 days of frustration, I took the scope off and put on a Burris 3-9......the rifle shot 1/2 inch groups all day long. I boxed up the Leupy and shipped it back to Oregon. A month later it came back tagged no problems noted. I shipped it back with a letter and test targets showing the groups shot with the Leupy and the Burris and said please fix this scope. It came back about a month later with a tag that said "internal failure, repaired". That was the last Leupold I ever bought. The scope is back on the Zavodi and it works fine, however, the experience was very frustrating to say the least.

When a compny loses established clients like this there is something basically wrong with their business attitude.

ive had one on my .22 for years it came over with a friend from new york had no probs what so ever i cant remember what it cost but it was reasonable and its a hell of a lot better than the edgar bros jobbie that it replaced. ive also looked at some freinds simmons scopes in the same price range and there is no comparison the leupold is far better and if it helps ive shot thousands of rabbits lamping with it on a proffesional basis and its a 3x9x50:D

Back