Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Shooting Rest?

Question Vehicle Shooting Rest?

I'm thinking of getting a shooting rest that (1) will be nice and stable and (2) permit me a less hunched/cramped posture when shooting through the driver's side window of my 4x4.

I've used bags over the window and wing mirror, but didn't really take to them, and I've tried a piece of carpet-covered wood with a slot for the window glass cut into it, but find that -like the bags- it places the rest too close to your body.

I see there's a rest on offer from Arthur Carter/Shoot Right that offers a bit more reach. Does anyone have experience of using one of these and if so, would you recommend it?

Google also shows up something from an outfit called Shooting Systems, but I can't find any evidence of recent activity. Does anyone know if they're still trading, and if the product is any good?

If none of the above...have you found anything better?

TIA

I have one on order and will let you know if it does the job when I receive it.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Tired all sorts of rest for shooting out of the window and the best one I have come up with is something I made myself.
    Its slots over the door really easy to make and cost nothing, though get yourself some sticky foam to put on the wood to make it a tight fit over the door, I’ve found putting a small ratchet strap around the rest and door makes it even more solid

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	346.4 KB 
ID:	10600

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Thanks - I'll look forward to hearing what you think.

Beno - outstanding!

I'm still interested in these, so I thought I'd check back to ask whether it has arrived yet, and if so, what you thought of it.

Yes it has arrived and its the dogs doodahs. I'll take some pictures tomorrow if the house and garage havent been blown away.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Yes it has arrived and its the dogs doodahs. I'll take some pictures tomorrow if the house and garage havent been blown away.
    Thanks for passing on the good news. I hope the house and garage are still in one piece, and in their original post code!

Just took delivery of mine, oh dear !!!! cheap and nasty imo. Apart from the one inch square Aluminium tube that make the upright and rifle rest, the suction assembly, connecters and pivot joints are all plastic, this leaves the whole thing far too flexible and wobbly, it moves around all over the place, especially with a rifle on it. All the pictures on the website with it being used show the overall length of it a lot shorter, this would certainly help, but I reckon it needs some support in the middle to stop the flexing. I will have a go at improving it but I would say to anyone wanting to buy one, save your money!!!!!! At best there is 15 worth of materils and it shows.

Beno's looks a lot better and will certainly be a lot more stable than this offering.
    Last edited by Mutley; 22-12-2011 at 19:55.

Hi all,

i see see you bin discussing shooting rest for a truck? I made one in 20 mins and it's great really steady and adjustable for different size windows, I'm in the process of make some new ones that I will be if anyone interested. Will try up load some pics

I've had the Shooting Systems rest fitted to my Disco for two years now and think it's a superb platform.

It's very well made. Not superbly finished, I have to say, but by the time you cover it in pipe lagging and tape, you don't see the bowels of it anyway.

Once you've seen the concept, you will say "have I just paid all of that money for that?", but, once fitted and used, you could well find it was money well spent. I know that I did.

George