Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dents in cases

Dents in cases

Morning all,

Through experience can some explain to us novice reloaded why cases slightly dent in the full size die when to much case lube is present? Will very all dents make that much of a differents? Should they be discarded or fired ?

Regards as always

Carl.

Carl

I have dented a few shoulders. It is air pressure that causes the dents at the end of the downstroke. As the shoulder of the case closes against the shoulder of the die, the excessive lube stops the air escaping and dents the shoulders. I tried various lube methods and have returned to the RCBS lube pad. All I did with the dented cases is fired them off for practice and once fired, I couldn't tell them apart from any other case.

Good luck. JCS

Not quite correct JCS. One of the basic laws of hydraulics is that a liquid cannot be compressed, it is therefore the actual lube that dents the case, when it is under pressure from the die; it has nowhere alse to go and the brass is softer than the steel die so it's the case that gives.I would say that minor denting can be sorted by firing the load and will have no noticable effect on your accuracy, but you have to judge which are minor and which you are not happy with.

What i was told when i started reloading was that so long as the dent is not so large it will have an effect on case capacity (may affect pressure/rate of burn) or serious enough that the brass is 'creased' (could be fatigued) then they are safe to fire and the dent will pop straight out

why would anyone want to use sub standard cases ever?

A dent in a case does not make it sub standard - just dented

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    well i have changed to a spray lube

now this will cause some raised eyebrows.

i use a silicon based spray and it works very well, in fact it is all i use now, the problem is its from lidls and every time i go to the shop and its come in someone has got the fin lot, so i found a replacement, that being 3 in 1 spray silicon based oil, works well but not as well as the lidls one.

i used the RCBS lub and mat and no matter what way i lubed the case i always ended up with the small indents to the shoulder of the odd case, since using the silicon oil based stuff all seems to be fine,

now i will wait here and see just how many people have thoughts on the oil im using.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Treacle Trackpad View Post
    Not quite correct JCS. One of the basic laws of hydraulics is that a liquid cannot be compressed, it is therefore the actual lube that dents the case,......
    TT. You're havering. The excessive lube traps the air in the shoulder section of the die.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/p...oReloading.pdf

Regards JCS

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    JCS

linky no worky

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Also to add remember to clean the inside of your dies occasionally which also helps remove dents as dies will start to build up with gunk/lube