Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of reloading questions please.

Couple of reloading questions please.

I recently batch weighed 500 x 100gr Sierra's in 7mm-08 and found them to range to be between 100.3gr and 99.8gr with the split (roughly) 3% 100.3gr, 5% 100.2gr, 15% 100.1gr 65% 100.0gr, 10% 99.9gr and 3% 99.8gr (I know that's 101% - but close enough).

Normally I would load all the 100.3, then the 100.2 and so on which (with all other factors being equal) would give me a slight increase in the POI as I shoot the lighter bullets?

Q1. Is this correct thing to do - or do I load all the 100.00gr until they are finished?

Q2. Roughly (with 45gr Varget) what would be the expected difference in POI over the 0.5gr variation at 100 & 200 yards please? I'm guessing not a great deal - so not worth bothering about with a hunting load (too many other possible variances?).

Just (Friday pm) bored & wondering.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Eyefor; 25-11-2011 at 16:51.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

You need to get out more.....

I never weigh bullets, life is too short. I just load them as they come out of the box.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    I recently batch weighed 500 x 100gr Sierra's in 7mm-08 and found them to range to be between 100.3gr and 99.8gr with the split (roughly) 3% 100.3gr, 5% 100.2gr, 15% 100.1gr 65% 100.0gr, 10% 99.9gr and 3% 99.8gr (I know that's 101% - but close enough).

Normally I would load all the 100.3, then the 100.2 and so on which (with all other factors being equal) would give me a slight increase in the POI as I shoot the lighter bullets?

Q1. Is this correct thing to do - or do I load all the 100.00gr until they are finished?

Q2. Roughly (with 45gr Varget) what would be the expected difference in POI over the 0.5gr variation at 100 & 200 yards please? I'm guessing not a great deal - so not worth bothering about with a hunting load (too many other possible variances?).

Just (Friday pm) bored & wondering.

Thanks.
    Would be interesting to run that particular 7-08 load through Quickload and see how the barrel timing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    You need to get out more.....

I never weigh bullets, life is too short. I just load them as they come out of the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    Would be interesting to run that particular 7-08 load through Quickload and see how the barrel timing changes.
    Perhaps we should go out (more often) together dear

I think it would be interesting too - I just like to eliminate other factors in order to know it's my fault when I miss. Sad, but good fun.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    Perhaps we should go out (more often) together dear

I think it would be interesting too - I just like to eliminate other factors in order to know it's my fault when I miss. Sad, but good fun.
    Iain, if you PM me your 'data' I'll run it through QL for you...

isnt gonnabe much difference at 200yds if any,if you can put every shoot in the same whole you mite see change between batches,probaly best to get out more

Yes, I can! 3 shots below.

Attachment 10620

Nice shooting.

I reckon that difference in POI for your group probably represents the difference a 0.5% difference in bullet weight will make at 200 yards.

There's some time from your life you'll never get back! Don't waste your time weighing bullets. ~Muir