Autumn watch

It was, at least from the camera angle.

But I have to ask, and with due respect to those who spend a very tough time working with wild deer in Scotland, why another stag shot when, as any fule kno, hinds make the babies. Is there not a problem with over-population?

to be honest from what i saw i thought it was a well rounded argument loaded towards stalking for once certainly not somthing you would have seen in bill (cockmunch) oddies days on the programe regardless s to what the chap stalking did or didnt do even the presenters basicaly looked up and said dont go on about people culling deer unless youve really seen the reasons as to why it happens

Still not an example of best practise and also looked like a bloody long shot .....

Just watched it on iplayer. Unless they edited it for iplayer, no deer was shot...

I like the bit when he realises his muzzle awareness was wrong, so he puts his hand over the muzzle! Will have to remember bullets don't go through hands!

Sir Lamp alot was pretty on the mark, the whole piece was very representative of a scenario as to why we have to cull deer. It was most informative to very many people who do not understand very much about the reasons for deer control. As for the comments about the skyline/deer running, does anyone actually believe that the shot would have been taken as shown on the clip.....??? Come on give yoursel a break !!!! Obviously the BBC did not want to show a deer dropping so they simulate the shot and show a clip of the deer at the same time. I'm pretty sure that the FC would have asked for a slightly different take on that one if they had been given the oppertunity.

Chris Packham has got a decent track record on these issues as he was very sensible in his response to the ridiculous furore over the "Emperor".

I wasn't having a dig at the programme, just wondering what the others on here were talking about saying a deer was shot on a skyline.......

It was such a relief to see a positive bit about deer management. The typical audience for the programme will have been greatly educated.

I wasn't having a dig at the programme, just wondering what the others on here were talking about saying a deer was shot on a skyline.......

It was such a relief to see a positive bit about deer management. The typical audience for the programme will have been greatly educated.
A1+ if only all reports were so rounded.

to be honest from what i saw i thought it was a well rounded argument loaded towards stalking for once certainly not somthing you would have seen in bill (cockmunch) oddies days on the programe regardless s to what the chap stalking did or didnt do even the presenters basicaly looked up and said dont go on about people culling deer unless youve really seen the reasons as to why it happens
i also thaught it was well rounded ,shurely this can only be a good thing the more these programs air the needs for stalking /culling the more the public are made aware and accept what needs to be done.you will always get people nit picking on both sides but stalking is being shown more now on telly than ever before from food programs to nature keep them coming i say,atb wayne

i stalking is being shown more now on telly than ever before from food programs to nature keep them coming i say,atb wayne

I'm very uncomfortable with this and would like to know why. It wouldn't be PC to show grouse shooting, or fox hunting, in a positive light and yet the very same do-gooders who object to nearly everything are, all of a sudden, keen on stalking. When stalking is presented on TV it s rare that we even get an appearance by some nut job from "fiends of the earth" or similar stating their objections so there is no question in my mind that showing stalking in a positive light has been a decision taken at the highest level - compare to the man made global warming lie, for example, where the media would not broadcast the opinions of anyone who objected because the decision that the lie was "true" and without any valid objection came from the highest level. Consider the "green taxes" and other interference that this has lead to.

As you say you can hardly turn on the TV without finding some interfering do-gooder telling you how stalking is a necessary evil and how all kills are clean and so on and that scares the life right out of me.

You might think I'm merely cynical and maybe you'd be right but when I see a range of media outlets, which appear unconnected, showing what would normally be a contraversal activity in a completely positive light and with no appearances by those you would normally expect to object then I form the opinion that something is up. I would be almost certain that it isn't an accident that, all of a sudden, a range of media outlets have shown stalking in a positive light and I would also be certain that the same source is driving this and that it is done with an agenda.

What the agenda is I have no idea but as I've said before I think it was Ronald Regan who said that the most frightening words a citizen can hear are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."

Last edited:
I'm very uncomfortable with this and would like to know why. It wouldn't be PC to show grouse shooting, or fox hunting, in a positive light and yet the very same do-gooders who object to nearly everything are, all of a sudden, keen on stalking. When stalking is presented on TV it s rare that we even get an appearance by some nut job from "fiends of the earth" or similar stating their objections so there is no question in my mind that showing stalking in a positive light has been a decision taken at the highest level - compare to the man made global warming lie, for example, where the media would not broadcast the opinions of anyone who objected because the decision that the lie was "true" and without any valid objection came from the highest level. Consider the "green taxes" and other interference that this has lead to.

As you say you can hardly turn on the TV without finding some interfering do-gooder telling you how stalking is a necessary evil and how all kills are clean and so on and that scares the life right out of me.

You might think I'm merely cynical and maybe you'd be right but when I see a range of media outlets, which appear unconnected, showing what would normally be a contraversal activity in a completely positive light and with no appearances by those you would normally expect to object then I form the opinion that something is up. I would be almost certain that it isn't an accident that, all of a sudden, a range of media outlets have shown stalking in a positive light and I would also be certain that the same source is driving this and that it is done with an agenda.

What the agenda is I have no idea but as I've said before I think it was Ronald Regan who said that the most frightening words a citizen can hear are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."
caorach a good post explaining how you feel and thanks for your responce.
im not sure why it is starting to become acceptable but i would hope it is because of a need to do this and hopefully it might lead on to grouse and other forms of shooting being aired. it might be a way of getting acceptability for other forms of culls which the public are against ,but who knows . things have to start somewhere and hopefully move in the right direction instead of being hidden away and having to feel like you do something wrong everytime you come up against a member of public while out stalking,atb wayne

I agree with you sir and I think Chris Packham was honest and sensible about things as he has been in the past.

I certainly hope you are right Wayne and that this is a genuine acceptance by some that conservation is more than just looking at fluffy bunny animals through binoculars. Having watched media manipulation in action for a long time, however, I remain concerned that there is going to be a price to pay for this as I just can't accept that so many of the nut jobs have, all of a sudden and all at the one time, decided that stalking is a great thing with absolutely no negative points at all. Perhaps I've just grown so accustomed to being screwed over that I don't know a good thing when I see it :)

Back