Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Numbers Of Muntjac

Low Numbers Of Muntjac

In my area of Essex (not far from Stansted) I've noticed a real drop in the numbers of muntjac over the last few years, has anyone else seen this in Essex or anywhere else for that matter? The last month I've been seeing a few more but nothing like there use to be.

Matt

last year we shot 72 which was about average, I have not seen as many about this year as I would expect. It may just be the mild weather, they are not having to travel much to find food.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

Being Poached?

Like most places.

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    Being Poached?
    It that better than having them roasted?

Sorry just could not resist .

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    Being Poached?

Like most places.
    No I don't think so, we are lucky not to really suffer from poaching.

I have permission on ground near Stansted. I did notice that this year there were fewer muntjac around. I don't know if it is coincidence or not, but they have recently had a big problem with hare coursers on the ground. Piles of dead hare have been found in fields, but there has been no evidence to suggest they were after any deer.

Can't help thinking it might be contributing to the lack of sightings, either through dispersal or them just sitting very tight (I bumped one on Thursday 6ft from my feet, it then did a belly flop into a stream before hightailing it - first time I've seen a swimming munty). Nevertheless, there may be some other explaination... especially if it is happening in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    No I don't think so, we are lucky not to really suffer from poaching.
    thay are there you do not see them

2 harsher winters recently with heavily increased mortality in the worst months? All other influences are likely to remain the same, ie poaching and legitimate hunting etc

i have some ground near newport pagnell i shot 7 in 2 days still seeing plenty about more than last year mainly in a morning

Numbers seem fairly normal here, but then the numbers are not that high anyway. The smaller population may mean the animals were able to find shelter in the harsh weather last winter, I wonder how much shelter is available in relation to population density. Where i was keeping last year, in the heaviest snow a Muntjac could be found under just about every pheasant shelter.