cross hairs...

zaitsev

Guys n gals, guys n gals (as Jimmy Saville would say)

A seemingly simple question....

In a scope, is the correct nomenclature for the cross hairs (sic)

Reticle?

Reticule?

Graticule?

Or is it actually something completely different? I have seen all of the above used in various articles, books and trade literature and cannot seem to get a consensus.

Any answers or opinions?

Thanks

Gareth

Gareth,
I belive that "graticule is derived from graduated reticule..
can't help you with the others.

regards
griff

Sorry Andy, had got works head on there :( Just means name really or terminology or a system of names or terms.

Regards

Gareth

Lifted from Wikipedia-

The word reticle is from the Latin meaning "net", a network or grid of lines displayed in an optical instrument. The minimum reticle consists of simple "cross-hairs",

Looking at S & B, Swarvorski, Meopta, and Leupold websites the spelling appears to be consistent as RETICLE

So Reticle looks good to me!

I don't know the correct name for the crosshairs but, if any of the above were mentioned I would know what you were talking about :eek: :eek:

John

That's why the last time I looked through the reticule all I could see was a tampon and some eye liner! :lol:

If I have been away from the site for a while I usually start at the last post and work backwards. You can therefor imagine what kind of thoughts were running through my rather empty head when I read AndyL's last post.

Remmy7 :lol:

cross hairs

Hi lads, Sorry to put spanner in but having spent most of my working life looking down the RETICULE of a microscope I feel the this is the one (sod what Johnny foreigner uses).
Griff is correct in that a Graticule is a graduated reticule or reticle.

Back