Thread: HMRC, heads up

HMRC, heads up

Hi All,
    Take a look at this http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ris/tcup/index.htm i believe this relates to 'hunting guides' as well, and as an off shoot they might look at monies gained from selling venison to game dealers.
    Game dealers keep records, and therefore we might come under the scrutiny of HMRC, just be warned, big brother is watching!
    I am a self employed fly fishing instructor and deer stalker, and declare this to the HMRC, as i am sure everyone does, dont they?
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Hi All,
    Take a look at this http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ris/tcup/index.htm i believe this relates to 'hunting guides' as well, and as an off shoot they might look at monies gained from selling venison to game dealers.
    Game dealers keep records, and therefore we might come under the scrutiny of HMRC, just be warned, big brother is watching!
    I am a self employed fly fishing instructor and deer stalker, and declare this to the HMRC, as i am sure everyone does, dont they?
    Cheers
    Richard
    Definition of the word Declare ( your telling them) need to know basis come to mind .

If your running this as a business mmmmm are you ever in the black and if you are your doing something wrong .

You have costs for: transport:vehicles,quads etc.

Rifles, ammunition,dogs (feed and vet bills consumables,kennels,electricity)

Equipment:larder equipment, knifes,boots clothing etc .

Hygiene certificates . Cleaning products.

Training:first aid,manual handling, quad

Telephone, fax, pc, email

The list goes on and on ,this type of business is because you enjoy it not because of the money the cash is minuscule in dimension to other types of work ,your the man picking up the bills at the end of the week not a estate factor .

As I said you should just about be running in the black , after you've weighed every little cost and item out .

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Definition of the word Declare ( your telling them) need to know basis come to mind .

If your running this as a business mmmmm are you ever in the black and if you are your doing something wrong .

You have costs for: transport:vehicles,quads etc.

Rifles, ammunition,dogs (feed and vet bills consumables,kennels,electricity)

Equipment:larder equipment, knifes,boots clothing etc .

Hygiene certificates . Cleaning products.

Training:first aid,manual handling, quad

Telephone, fax, pc, email

The list goes on and on ,this type of business is because you enjoy it not because of the money the cash is minuscule in dimension to other types of work ,your the man picking up the bills at the end of the week not a estate factor .

As I said you should just about be running in the black , after you've weighed every little cost and item out .
    You are exactly right Widows, and I'm sure most would agree.
    However......
    it is not us you have to convince!
    Because of the way game dealers operate (mostly cash-in-hand), they will be under the close scrutiny of HMRC. If they are operating within the law, they will have records of all game handled for food traceability. This will normally take the form of weight sheets with all your details, trained hunter number and amounts paid. Effectively, a nice little audit trail to lead them to your door! They will only see this as income not declared and may well assume you have done similar for the last 5 years. It is then down to you to prove otherwise.
    If you are not registered, or have no records of outgoings to offset the income, then it will be viewed as taxable and you will have to pay up - simple as that!
    This is exactly why I registered as a self employed deer manager and vermin controller. You can apply for a low earnings exemption for national insurance if you already pay NI on a main job too. low earnings means you can earn up to £5075 PROFIT! If you use your normal vehicle, you can use the government Motor Mileage Allowance of 45p per mile to offset earnings which is enough alone to put most recreational stalkers in the Red! Record your miles, and anything spent towards what you do and you should find that you will be easily in the red. Without these records, you are leaving yourself wide open for a big tax bill, and they are currently looking for every penny they can get!
    MS

Spot on MS.
    There's a lot you can do with the losses as well - set off etc.. Better to get professional advice though (even if it's just a five minute chat with a local accountant)....

Especially if you're earning 100 grand for culling
    Last edited by OSS32; 27-11-2011 at 23:46. Reason: Fking iPhone hates me

Unless your an MP or some such you have to declare every penny you get in. They need help to fund said MP's fiddles etc so someone has to make up the short fall and yep you guessed it the normal person type is the target. Not the likes of Lord Levey who can claim he only earns about £6k per years despite being a multi mililonaire.