fox call whats hot and whats not?

gonefoxin

our local population of foxes r not coming in to my call (wam and u caller) and im looking for a change any ideas?
or tips please

I use the foxpro scorpion which is very good for static areas bit expensive though and i also use the mini colibri for MMSPORTING which is also very good..as in mouth calls i also use the Wam and "original fox caller found here .. http://www.foxcalluk.co.uk/

M
ick

A few people have suggested they have started running now it could be time to start with the vixen scream.local hunt lads say the are finding pairs in close proximity.

A few people have suggested they have started running now it could be time to start with the vixen scream.local hunt lads say the are finding pairs in close proximity.[/QUOTE
hunt coming to me in the am ,going to do a patch we rent and i cant shoot it for charlie ,he half cleared a drive on sat so hopefully they may chase him away :D

I'm another fan of the Scorpion. Mine's been used so much it looks like it's a hundred years old. The case is cracked to buggery along the hinge line (no luck with getting a replacement from Foxpro though :(). Recently, I've been experimenting with starting my calling with a series of fox squalls (short yaps) - about 6 - 10, then muting for thirty seconds or so, then giving another brief blast. This is to alert any foxes in the area to the presence of another individual. Then after another pause, I go into the 'Vixen on Heat' or 'Vixen Mating Call'. So far, it's been working well! :)

I'm another fan of the Scorpion. Mine's been used so much it looks like it's a hundred years old. The case is cracked to buggery along the hinge line (no luck with getting a replacement from Foxpro though :(). Recently, I've been experimenting with starting my calling with a series of fox squalls (short yaps) - about 6 - 10, then muting for thirty seconds or so, then giving another brief blast. This is to alert any foxes in the area to the presence of another individual. Then after another pause, I go into the 'Vixen on Heat' or 'Vixen Mating Call'. So far, it's been working well! :)

Nic eone mate, ill drop you a PM if you want soem calls Ill email them to you. Not got the Fox squalls one wouldnt minda swap :)

Hi Mick,
I hve recently purcased the Foxpro Spitfire caller and was looking to add more calls onto it. Would it be possible for you to please email me the calls that you stored on the Foxpro Scorpion caller?

Cyril

Hi Mick,
I hve recently purcased the Foxpro Spitfire caller and was looking to add more calls onto it. Would it be possible for you to please email me the calls that you stored on the Foxpro Scorpion caller?

Cyril

I can send you some mate. PM your email address. Do you ahev the cable adn SD card reader? If you want to you can format another SD card (about £4 on ebay) and haev 2 or more cards all you need to do then is just sync it with the handheld unit. Cheers Steve

I've got that original fox caller and think it works quite well. I'd love to get a foxpro spitfire though! Hmm.... Christmas coming up!

Just got myself a foxpro scorpion it arrived today from the good old USA so my Mini Colibri will be going up for sale its a remote like the one that has just been reviewed in sporting shooter but an earlier model possibly MK1 or MK2 ive had it about 4 years and used it to call quite a few fox's...

I think it's also worth stating that in my experience, for reasons of wind direction and ground layout, the positioning of the caller is more important than the call itself. You could have the sexiest vixen scream going, but if the wind gives you away, or dead ground stops you seeing a fox approaching until it's too late, you've wasted your time. Ask me how I know...

Last edited:
Paddy do you mostly use fox vocals or do you also use prey distress sounds too?

Matt

I use absolutely anything that I think might work, and if it doesn't, I try something else! At this time of year, I usually start out with fox calls, but would happily switch to distressed rat, bunny, snowshoe hare, or whatever if they didn't work.

I think it's also worth stating that in my experience, for reasons of wind direction and ground layout, the positioning of the caller is more important than the call itself. You could have the sexiest vixen scream going, but if the wind gives you away, or dead ground stops you see a fox approaching until it's too late, you've wasted your time. Ask me how I know...

Agree, Ive had a few come from nowhere very fast adn not had chance to knock the caller off and get a shot at it...

Back