plastic silencer

biglad

Hi all just wandering has any one heard of them jackson rifles supposed to do them....Neil ??

I don't know if Jackson's do one, but UK Custom Shop (Wildcat) do a plastic .22 LR moderator called the Cub, and Soundbiter also make a polymer rimfire/air-rifle suppressor. If it's a centre-fire moderator you want, Anglo Custom Rifle are developing an ultra-light design made from a clever polymer called PEEK that could be a game-changer if it lives up to the hype.

Are there any more out there?

As above, both are not the most effective thing about, but are light and compact.
The soundbiter will not last more than a few shots with either the HMR or WMR, but the Cub is fine, mine is 3 or 4 years old and has survived very well.
Including being abused on my .22 Hornet, no sign of melted plastic or erosion.
My Cub is still my moderator of choice for the subsonic .22lr

Neil. :)

A company called TLD produces / is about to produce a mod which is made, in part, from carbon fibre. I don't know if this counts as plastic.

I'm not sure whether the TLD mods are available yet but they have a website with details of the product and a list of suppliers.

http://www.tld.uk.net/

I have seen some early versions and a pre - production model. Not tried one yet, but plan to as soon as I can get one. I will post a little review then if one hasn't been done already.

Cheers,

Bob

A company called TLD produces / is about to produce a mod which is made, in part, from carbon fibre. I don't know if this counts as plastic.

I'm not sure whether the TLD mods are available yet but they have a website with details of the product and a list of suppliers.

http://www.tld.uk.net/

I have seen some early versions and a pre - production model. Not tried one yet, but plan to as soon as I can get one. I will post a little review then if one hasn't been done already.

Cheers,

Bob
Looks very much like a wildcat the weight and size are not much better either.
As for the carbon Mod from Anglo Custom Rifle it is undergoing extensive testing as we speak and I will post feedback as soon as the results are in, what I can say is the weight will be 1/3 - 1/2 of the weight of the TLD ones.

Looks very much like a wildcat the weight and size are not much better either.
As for the carbon Mod from Anglo Custom Rifle it is undergoing extensive testing as we speak and I will post feedback as soon as the results are in, what I can say is the weight will be 1/3 - 1/2 of the weight of the TLD ones.
if the prototype is anything to go by, you will have to worry about it blowing away in the breeze when not screwed onto the barrel :D

I've not weighed a TLD mod and I don't know how they compare on paper. However, I have compared the weight of an early version of a TLD with a Northstar. The TLD was noticably lighter, despite having almost twice the volume.

My understanding of the TLD is that some of it (i.e the bit that screws to the barrel, the baffles, end caps etc.) are made from different metals. There is a bare minumum weight for these components which is difficult to safely get below. However, the rest is carbon fibre, which is very light.

I think the TLD's might come into their own when used on the bigger calibre / higher case capacity cartridges which need a large volume mod to reduce noise and felt recoil. This can be achieved without a significant weight increase over and above the bare minimum weight of the metal bits.

I'm keen to see both (TLD and Anglo Custom) and it seems that we are in for some innovative new products over the next few months.

Cheers,

Bob

I've not weighed a TLD mod and I don't know how they compare on paper. However, I have compared the weight of an early version of a TLD with a Northstar. The TLD was noticably lighter, despite having almost twice the volume.

My understanding of the TLD is that some of it (i.e the bit that screws to the barrel, the baffles, end caps etc.) are made from different metals. There is a bare minumum weight for these components which is difficult to safely get below. However, the rest is carbon fibre, which is very light.

I think the TLD's might come into their own when used on the bigger calibre / higher case capacity cartridges which need a large volume mod to reduce noise and felt recoil. This can be achieved without a significant weight increase over and above the bare minimum weight of the metal bits.

I'm keen to see both (TLD and Anglo Custom) and it seems that we are in for some innovative new products over the next few months.

Cheers,

Bob
Bob I got the weight direct from TLD`s website link is in this thread somewhere I think it may have been you who posted it mate.
The best place to compare like for like would be at the british shooting show were we will be showcasing the anglo version, but they will be available before hand.

Back