Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lab

Lab

This is more of a general question than fitting of the "Deer dogs" section...

Finally convinced the wife we need a dog... (had dogs until leaving home for Uni (1/2 a lifetime ago)... seems a Lab is the agreed breed. Being that I have no dog friends here in Cambridge what's the best way to source a good beast / anyone got any good links in East Anglia?

BENTON ............BENTON ....OH JESUS CHRIST ....hes now at stud for top tracking dogs

should be plenty about in the spring not many folk having pups ,good shooting bitchs are working busy on game shoots beating or picking up be patient the right dog will come along .

Lab's are Just Perfect Dogs to have

Quote Originally Posted by tylerjones553 View Post
    Lab's are Just Perfect Dogs to have
    I have to dissargee with that one....... we got lumbered with a Black Lab and he is totally brain dead. Won't listen takes himself for walks unless you watch him constantly.. A right PITA. he also got jealous of one of my dogs so now we have to keep them separated of all hell breaks lose. Breaking up a fight in 2010 I ended up in hospital with a bite through my right wrist.

On another note Phillip the boss at F.A. Anderson brought a Black Lab good blood line and it's terrified of any loud noises. Been to trainers and they verdict is it's useless due to being terrified of any loud noises. So they're not always perfect just like any dog.

Pyrenean dogs are a usless breed for anything but keeping you warm and putting white hair all over the house. Not a helpful answer but I would say anyother breed would be better than the pyr. The attached photo explains their main occupation.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3375.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	10703

What a great choice getting a lab despite what Brithunter said! Sounds like he inherited a poorly trained dog and the other one that's gun shy, well that could be down to simple exposure to gun fire at to young an age - any dog can suffer from that.

Being the most common breed in the country you should have no problem sourcing a dog. Try the KC's website for a list of breeders in your area and go from there. Just as a note of caution, I would advise against getting a dog that is not KC registered unless there is proof of a good hip score in the bitch and sire. All though a good hip score does not eradicate the possibility of Hip Dysplasia it does reduce the chance of the condition being passed on through via genetics. A colleague of mine last week picked up an non KC registed 8 month old lab, the first consultation/check up with the vet and the dog is suspected to have HD evident from the stance, gait and dogs reaction to excercise - he is waiting on x rays to be taken.

I would also read up on minimising the risk of HD before you pick up your pup, (sorry if it's teaching you to suck eggs). There are lots of little things you can do such as making sure you use a large breed food - if memory serves me right foods with additional minerals such as calcium can increase bone development in the hind quaters which is undersirable in labs. Restricting excersice until the dog has developed - some people use the 5 minute rule for instance. Prevent where possible jumping. An keep the dogs weight in check which for a labrador is so much harder than it sounds! etc etc... But that all said chances are you'll have no problems.

Good luck in your search and post some picture when/if you get one.

Quote Originally Posted by seibassman View Post
    Pyrenean dogs are a usless breed for anything but keeping you warm and putting white hair all over the house. Not a helpful answer but I would say anyother breed would be better than the pyr. The attached photo explains their main occupation.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3375.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	10703
    Well they just look like a pair of matching cusions. Not much room in the middle there to sit is there?

labs

I have 3 labs,all live indoors ,all work picking up ,i don't think you will go wrong if you can find a lab from a keeper or good working parents,i think bitches are easier than dogs to train and tendto be more bidable,i know a FC keeper who always has labs for his deer dogs,just be patiant and wait for right working litter,cheers

Hello stig you have a PM

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.