fouling round or rounds?

sir-lamp-alot

basically in a nut nut shell im shooting some exspensive factory loads at the moment and once ive cleaned the barrell how many rounds do i need to spitt into the dirt to re-foul the barrel is it just one or do i need to put two or three down it if it makes any differnce im using forrest bore foam to clean the barrell

Sir. A very good question, but only you can really answer it, as it's down to your rifle, your ammo and your cleaning regime. I expect my rifles to be spot on with their first clean, cold bore shots. I suggest you do a trial, but it's tricky to take your expectations out of the trial. In some respects a blind trial shot by someone else who can shoot might be the way to go. Good luck. JCS

my rifle shoot same poa just cleaned or it had 100+ rnds through it. I just clean it with forest foam when i feel like it.
Bob

Simply shoot one round.

Did it hit where you are comfortable with ;)

The answer is down to you.......

Stan

if you don't want to waste ammo on fouling, only clean before taking it foxing or similar so you don't have to worry too much about the exact shot placement that one does on deer. Not to say a fox does not deserve a perfect bullet placement of course;)

Much depends on your cleaning routine. If you leave cleaning solvent, residue in the barrel it could take a good number of shots to burn it off. I find, if you put a patch with meths through, followed by a couple of dry ones just before you take the rifle out for a shot, the ccb shot is pretty close to zero. Don't leave stored this way though, if you don't fire a shot run a patch with oil on to protect it.

if you don't fire a shot run a patch with oil on to protect it.

sorry mate, don't get this, maybe I'm having a senior moment... are you saying that if stored for longer periods, oil the barrel slightly? if so, ensure it's muzzle down in the cabinet, or you could get oil running into the chambering, bolt head (if stored with bolt in), trigger, etc.

Much depends on your cleaning routine. If you leave cleaning solvent, residue in the barrel it could take a good number of shots to burn it off. I find, if you put a patch with meths through, followed by a couple of dry ones just before you take the rifle out for a shot, the ccb shot is pretty close to zero. .

This is a tip I gleaned from a kind person on this site, I find it works brilliantly. Although since starting to use Wipe Out/Patch Out I have found less reason for a fouling shot as my rifle seems to retain zero much better than before.

Simon

if you don't want to waste ammo on fouling, only clean before taking it foxing or similar so you don't have to worry too much about the exact shot placement that one does on deer. Not to say a fox does not deserve a perfect bullet placement of course;)
Welcome to valhalla, land of the lampshy fox!

Back