Thread: shooting from vehicle change in POI

shooting from vehicle change in POI

Recently I have been lamping a bit from a jeep away from public roads etc. My rifle is zeroed at 100m and is pretty consistent with a particular load. I am aware that zeroing on a particular surface can result in a different POI compared to firing from an alternative surface in the field. I havenít had a chance to test the changes on POI due to work commitments and the darker evenings. I have recently wounded two foxes with low shots and wont be hunting again until I can re-zero and test any variables. My question is to any of you vermin shooters out there that shoot from vehicles do you notice a change of POI when shooting from a vehicle. I have been resting the rifle foreend on the sling on top of the window, I then raise or lower the window to a comfortable shooting position based on the shot required. (again I am only shooting away from public roads )

keith

May be the point loading, a cheap length of pipe insulation slit and pushed onto the top of the window might help and would be a cheap trial. Just a thought not a definite solution.

David.

No expert but I do a lot of vermin control from my landy. My rifles are all zeroed at 1" high 100yds and as long as I have a good solid rest no matter where I shoot from the POI will not be out by much and certainly not enough to be a wounding low shot. My usual rest points are shooting of the bipod over the bonnet, resting the rifle on the spare wheel (on rear door) and on occassions out the window using the window to rest the forend as you have been doing. Shooting out the window IMO is not the best simply because I like to have my elbows on a solid rest giving complete steadiness to the rear of the rifle. Sitting in the vehicle it is not easy to have your elbows resting anywhere possibly allowing slight movement at the rear end.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    No expert but I do a lot of vermin control from my landy. My rifles are all zeroed at 1" high 100yds and as long as I have a good solid rest no matter where I shoot from the POI will not be out by much and certainly not enough to be a wounding low shot. My usual rest points are shooting of the bipod over the bonnet, resting the rifle on the spare wheel (on rear door) and on occassions out the window using the window to rest the forend as you have been doing. Shooting out the window IMO is not the best simply because I like to have my elbows on a solid rest giving complete steadiness to the rear of the rifle. Sitting in the vehicle it is not easy to have your elbows resting anywhere possibly allowing slight movement at the rear end.
    Im with Gazza. I too shoot a lot from my landy but very rarely from the inside. You need to ensure that you have a solid rest. For this reason i always shoot off the bipod from bonnet or standing in the foot well shooting off the roof. The only time I shoot from the vehicle regulator is when shooting rabbits with the .22, soon as a fox is seen its out on bonnet with.243.

Snap,

rarely from inside, normally standing on tailgate/platform on back of motor with rifle on bipod on roof. Only out of window with .22lr after rabbits. Cant afford to miss foxes in our area.

D

Shoot all of my rifles from prone, off sticks, off bipods, inside the motor, off the top of the motor, off gate posts or anything else to hand, never noticed a change in POI but then i ain't been looking

Tikkat3

What distance where the foxes? If they where too close within eg 20yds you would have to aim a bit higher. It would be worth firing at a target from your vehicle to see where bullets where going. Or your zeros mabey moved.