Barking Roe buck. Anyone know why?

jon2

We have a very vocal Roe Buck on one piece of ground we have and this has and have heard it several times but never seen him.

This has happened on several occasions throughout the year but I have never encountered this before. Yes ofcourse I have heard Roe barking many times but never on a regular basis throughout the year.

Has anyone else encountered this and know the possible reason why?

The times it has happened he has never been bumped by me and the wind in my face so it's not as if I have winded him so to speak.

It happened again last weekend and he must have been just in the treeline about 150 yards from me but again a no show.

Would be interested in what others have to say and the possible reason for him being so vocal.

Maybe not the same thing but...

I observed what I'm sure was a young Doe barking a few weeks ago. Again like you the wind was in my face and there is no way she made me out. The first time she let off I had no idea where she was but the Reds grazing on the ground below me flighted into the tree's. The doe kept this up for the next few hours on and off and I eventually spied her making her way repeatedly up and down a deer fence (she was inside the neighboring plantation trying to cross it onto the land we were on). Most of the time though she was happily browsing away at the young tree's in amongst these bursts of barking.

I'm not convinced why but I have two suspicions as to what was going on, the first one is that she has been abandoned for whatever reason or cause by her mother. The second which is a bit further far fetched is that a Sika may have been occupying the same piece of tree's and was pushing the Roe out. The area holds Sika and Roe so it's not impossible.

Its just a thought,

Ali

Last edited:
May i suggest that the buck is in fact a doe and she has kids at foot.Some does can be very protective and will bark quite freely if they are not sure what is a bout but know something is not quite right. I am sure had your wind been in to the Roe or she had seen you there would have been no barking just a discreet retreat.

Yes good points both.

I assumed it is a buck but as I have not seen the animal in question it could well be a doe.

We have an out of season license on this particular piece and we are under instruction to shoot both sexes so I may well get to find out at some point in the near future but of course only if I see the animal in question and only if it is being vocal obviously.

Good points. Thanks

I did hear it in March last and it is always in the same local area to this particular piece of forestry and think partly the reason I thought it was male.

I am intrigued and would love to see it but ofcourse unless I manage to get a shot off and depending on how visible it is I may not know for certain.

Yes good points both.

I assumed it is a buck but as I have not seen the animal in question it could well be a doe.

We have an out of season license on this particular piece and we are under instruction to shoot both sexes so I may well get to find out at some point in the near future but of course only if I see the animal in question and only if it is being vocal obviously.

Good points. Thanks

I see you assumed it was a buck.

More likely to be a large doe engaging her previous years offspring thats invading her territory again ,she will be very protective of this years kids at this time of year and you very often see her chasing last years siblings biting chunks of peelage out of them. Its not un common.

Cheers
Alan

many possibilties as said you my not think the doe has seen you but they often bark for very little reason seen movement they dont like,people,foxes,pheasants,can start a doe off.I am convinced a low flying bussard started one off one day as I had been sat watching her for several minutes before she barked and pranched away.

All good info thanks.

If it is a doe yes there are some good points mentioned above why this is the case but I was sure it was a buck due to the fact it has barked at times when it would have no maternal motivation to do so but yes could be completely wrong.

Assuming it is a buck any ideas then (just out of interest)?

Thanks

Apologies if this question is of topic -it's about muntjac rather than roe- but I'd always thought that both sexes would bark when alarmed, yet a friend recently insisted that it is only the males that do this. Can one of you gentlemen settle the argument for me?

bucks and does bark as far as i know ....muntys, think there was some gr8 pictures of one about a week ago with a fawn

Last edited:
Apologies if this question is of topic -it's about muntjac rather than roe- but I'd always thought that both sexes would bark when alarmed, yet a friend recently insisted that it is only the males that do this. Can one of you gentlemen settle the argument for me?

Here my friend is indefatigable proof,so you can put your friend right!

DSC_00260001-1.jpg

This was taken from my bedroom window last week.
Martin

out of season licence mentioned we had a speaker at our bds meeting this month and this question was raised about this and he informed me that you do not need an out of season licence just the land owners permission and documentation of the other methods used to protect what ever crop your protecting I put this to a very knowledgeable friend who I greatly admire and told me this is ******** and in fact and this is the point I want to make to the person with this licence it only allows you to shoot does 6 weeks earlier than the start of the doe season and to shoot a doe now would still be an offence crop damage or not bucks yes but not does true or not I do not know just really find out before you shoot a doe out of season what the exact rules are

Mr Gain

I sat in a high seat this morning and watched a muntjac doe and buck approach. The doe saw my dog below the high seat and barked....and barked....and barked. The buck never made a sound.

Tell your friend that he needs to get out stalking muntjac more often! ;)

willie_gunn

Back