Cz 550 fs

stalkinginengland

I would love a double rifle but I know I cant afford one at the moment. However I have been thinking about a full stock rifle and having looked at styer I also looked at CZ and found the CZ 550 FS which looks the dog doodars. I have liked the look of some of the new CZ range but have never seen one of these. I want one in 8x57

Has anyone got any knowledge of this rifle, build and quality, and who is the importer for this country? Please dont say that it can only be bought in the states:(

Many thanks

Mark

Good calibre Mark, but not very popular in the U.K., getting suitable expanding bullets to reload can be a bit of a pain as very few dealers stock bullets in this calibre.
I hope you aren't intending to take this rifle to France because the 8x57 is still regarded as a military calibre, the 8x57 rimmed as used in double rifles isn't.

It became such a nuisance getting 8mm bullets that I started casting for mine.

Good calibre Mark, but not very popular in the U.K., getting suitable expanding bullets to reload can be a bit of a pain as very few dealers stock bullets in this calibre.
I hope you aren't intending to take this rifle to France because the 8x57 is still regarded as a military calibre, the 8x57 rimmed as used in double rifles isn't.

It became such a nuisance getting 8mm bullets that I started casting for mine.

Yes I was thinking of france, what problems are there? Is it possible at all? i suppose the only answer then is the 9.3x74? do they make a Full stock in that calibre?

Mark

Last edited:
8x57 (8mm Mauser) is not possible at all for hunting in France unfortunately due to their continued ban on using "military" cartridges for hunting.

The 9.3x74r is a rimmed round that is more suited to break action rifles, I have one of these also. In fact I can only think of this cartridge being used in break action rifles and the Ruger Number 1 rifle. I won't say its impossible to chamber a bolt action for 9.3x74 but it's not really practical to do so. If you are thinking of 9.3mm in a bolt action it would normally be 9.3x62 though I think Sako also produce 9.3x64 ? 9.3x62 is the ballistic identical of 9.3x74r but in a shorter rimless case.

I'm fairly sure that CZ make a full stocked rifle in 9.3x62 but getting one in the U.K. may be difficult as in my experience importers normally only import rifles in the popular calibres and aren't interested in getting you anything not on the top ten best selling list, and that's all the importers not just one or two. 9.3x62 would be a very good choice though obtaining bullets for reloading in this calibre can be a pain in this country. It wouldn't be if it were possible to send expanding bullets through the post.

Last edited:
I bought a 9.3 x 62 chambered CZ550 full stock from my local dealer, Derek Lee Gunsmiths, earlier this year. They are special order via Edgar Brothers who are the UK wholesaler. It took about 8 weeks to arrive. I know he has another on order for a friend of mine which will be here in February. He was also able to source S&B 286gr soft point bullets for £29 per 100. The Lapua cases were a bit expensive, about £75 per 100 but should last me a while.

The gun is solid, well made and very reliable. It performed better than the operator on my recent trip to Croatia and I can confirm the calibre worked very well on the boar. The stock is the Bavarian hogs back design which is very comfortable and comes up to the shoulder well. With a low power Leupold scope and the No3 German reticle I was able to shoot it like a shotgun, both eyes open, ideal for fast taken moving shots. I also have it conditioned for deer shooting and zeroing in the UK.

Any more info needed? Just ask. BTW there is a very good 3 part review of the gun and cartridge at realguns.com

Last edited:
I bought a 9.3 x 62 chambered CZ550 full stock from my local dealer, Derek Lee Gunsmiths, earlier this year. They are special order via Edgar Brothers who are the UK wholesaler. It took about 8 weeks to arrive. I know he has another on order for a friend of mine which will be here in February. He was also able to source S&B 286gr soft point bullets for £29 per 100. The Lapua cases were a bit expensive, about £75 per 100 but should last me a while.

The gun is solid, well made and very reliable. It performed better than the operator on my recent trip to Croatia and I can confirm the calibre worked very well on the boar. The stock is the Bavarian hogs back design which is very comfortable and comes up to the shoulder well. With a low power Leupold scope and the No3 German reticle I was able to shoot it like a shotgun, both eyes open, ideal for fast taken moving shots. I also have it conditioned for deer shooting and zeroing in the UK.

Any more info needed? Just ask. BTW there is a very good 3 part review of the gun and cartridge at realguns.com

Can you tell me how you pulled the deer in the UK stunt. what sort of hoops did you have to jump through? My feo was saying that I would not be able to even zero a 8x57jrs over here and would have to wait until I was in france before I could zero it let alone a 9.3x62. He was on about all sorts of conditions and that he was sure this was the case as Norfolk had just granted a large calibre to someone else. Also he debated the fact that there are any boar over here.:rolleyes:

mark

Edgars should also be able to get lighter bullets. I had some of those 286 grainers:-

29368774.jpg

The selection of 9.3mm bullets I was trying in my 9.3x57 until some one decided that i could hold it for collection only :doh:. As for calibres to hunt deer with until my move into Lincs I had 9.3x57 on my ticket for deer and fox. Lincs insist on listing each rifle and what you may or may not shoot with it and where.

Now until about 2009 I also had the 7.92mm (8x57JS) open for deer.

Now I know of nothing in the UK law that prohibits the use of either calibre for deer it's just once again the FEO and the licensing manager making up their own agenda as they go along. Good luck in fighting them as it seems there is nothing or no one to take them to task for this.

Hi Mark

There was no jumping through hoops and there are others on these forums who use 9.3s. If your FEO is so mistaken as to think there are no wild boar in the UK you should maybe direct him to this very forum as all aspects of wild boar distribution and shooting up and down the country are well covered. Its not as though you are trying to get him to believe in the yeti or the unicorn or something. Perhaps the saying that there are none so blind as those who don't want to see applies here.

Try using articles from the internet regarding the suitability of the 9.3, to shoot large deer for instance, to illustrate your 'good reason'. For example most European ammo manufacturers illustrate all deer species next to the 9.3 as it is very popular for all round hunting on the continent. The trouble is when blinkered FEOs equate bullet diameter with 'big calibre' and automatically catch a fright as they can be prejudiced against all but .22LR and 243s. The simple fact is that there is no good reason why you should not use one so stick to your guns and good luck.

I'll second that Vigilaire. I have both my 8x57jrs and my 9.3x74r on ticket for both deer and fox in the U.K.

Back