Bow Hunting Deer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banning things on the basis of gut feeling and narrow personal experience is the business of urban MPs. Is there any science regarding the ability of a bow and arrow to achieve a humane kill? That should surely be the basis of any debate such as this.
Well said that man.

If there are bad shots with rifles there will be even worse shots with bows. No thanks.

In a major study done in 1989 by Glen Boydston and Horace Gore, Wildlife biologists at the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, they compared data on archery and gun wounding losses gathered at four wildlife management areas in Texas from 1972 through 1985. During this period, archers bagged 128 deer and wounded and failed to retrieve 130 others, for a crippling loss exceeding 50%—revealing that for every deer
legally killed and recovered by a bowhunter, at least one or more deer were wounded and left to die in a slow and painful manner. Gun hunters killed 2,266 deer and wounded 150 others for a crippling loss of 7%. Thus, only 1 out of every 14 deer shot with guns was not retrieved.
The Texas study provided evidence that, on average, 21 shots were made for every deer killed, or about 10 shorts per deer hit.

In a major study done in 1989 by Glen Boydston and Horace Gore, Wildlife biologists at the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, they compared data on archery and gun wounding losses gathered at four wildlife management areas in Texas from 1972 through 1985. During this period, archers bagged 128 deer and wounded and failed to retrieve 130 others, for a crippling loss exceeding 50%—revealing that for every deer
legally killed and recovered by a bowhunter, at least one or more deer were wounded and left to die in a slow and painful manner. Gun hunters killed 2,266 deer and wounded 150 others for a crippling loss of 7%. Thus, only 1 out of every 14 deer shot with guns was not retrieved.
The Texas study provided evidence that, on average, 21 shots were made for every deer killed, or about 10 shorts per deer hit.

That's more like it.

If the populas aggree to bow hunting then they may as well do away with a minimum caliber for culling deer , perhaps they should legalise sling shots and snaring as well .
It seems to me that the police cant manage existing / ongoing poaching problems as it is .

( or would it be another string to their bow ):rofl:

+ 1
Tony

Bet the original poster regrets starting this post, this was done to death before and is going the same way. The study by Boydston and Gore(very apt for the huge amount of deer lost as wounded) is an eye opener for me, I have watched DVDs many years ago, and recent ones on you-tube. It was the best of the primitive tools primitive man had to feed his family, surely none of us on this site still have the need to feed their family as such today. Leave for those who still can only feed their families as a necessity due to still embroiled by circumstances that civilized people no longer are bound by. Testing your prowess can be done by hunting field targets as we do here, the wounded ones don't feel the pain of the live species. We in the U.K. are able to take unlimited deer all year round, across the water, there are tag systems and different types of weapons used modern, black powder, and bow, the number of deer taken is limited to far less than we can take in a month. I hope we never have to resort to the same stringent conditions, we have enough issues with attacks on our chosen sport that threads such as this, should have the thread locked when it becomes one that does not project our sport as a civilized past time. deerwarden.:old: :closed:please

Bet the original poster regrets starting this post, this was done to death before and is going the same way. The study by Boydston and Gore(very apt for the huge amount of deer lost as wounded) is an eye opener for me, I have watched DVDs many years ago, and recent ones on you-tube. It was the best of the primitive tools primitive man had to feed his family, surely none of us on this site still have the need to feed their family as such today. Leave for those who still can only feed their families as a necessity due to still embroiled by circumstances that civilized people no longer are bound by. Testing your prowess can be done by hunting field targets as we do here, the wounded ones don't feel the pain of the live species. We in the U.K. are able to take unlimited deer all year round, across the water, there are tag systems and different types of weapons used modern, black powder, and bow, the number of deer taken is limited to far less than we can take in a month. I hope we never have to resort to the same stringent conditions, we have enough issues with attacks on our chosen sport that threads such as this, should have the thread locked when it becomes one that does not project our sport as a civilized past time. deerwarden.:old: :closed:please

+1 on that. Well said sir.

Banning things on the basis of gut feeling and narrow personal experience is the business of urban MPs. Is there any science regarding the ability of a bow and arrow to achieve a humane kill? That should surely be the basis of any debate such as this.
I have tried it in the States and I see it as a no no. My yankee friends now agree. If bows were approved over here they would probably put a Bow Act together which would put another layer of control on us. How many would get dsc1 with an accuracy test with a bow :cuckoo: we move on.

what always makes me laugh is who everyone can shoot "clover leafe" groups or .05 moa groups , mill dot this , range finder that and yet the same blokes need tracking dogs or better still "oh i missed it clean" . Come on chaps someone must be wounding deer with rifles so lets not run another culture down for what they do

An anti hunting 'study' previously discredited here in a past thread.

I wrote a long response to this thread but deleted it. I'll just say that all this anti-archery talk, especially from those who have never participated in the sport, is a sad commentary on a nation that was once famous for their archers. ~Muir

I used to do a lot of Archery at school and I was bloody good at it, I reckon I could happily use a the right Bow and kill deer with it, but... Why? I have a Rifle. I don't stalk without sticks because they make getting a clean kill easier. I use double sticks instead of single because they are more steady. We use expanding Ammunition to improve the chances of a clean kill, everything you do as a stalker is aimed at getting a clean kill - why use a bow when if you have land and reason you can legally own a selection of calibres that are more than capable of killing deer cleanly.

An anti hunting 'study' previously discredited here in a past thread.

Are you suggesting that there is no increased likelyhood of wounding when using a bow rather than a cf rifle.

Je ne regrette rien

LMFAO

I wrote a long response to this thread but deleted it. I'll just say that all this anti-archery talk, especially from those who have never participated in the sport, is a sad commentary on a nation that was once famous for their archers. ~Muir

Surely its done to test oneself rather than a method chosen to do a job in the most humane way possible.

I used to do a lot of Archery at school and I was bloody good at it, I reckon I could happily use a the right Bow and kill deer with it, but... Why? I have a Rifle. I don't stalk without sticks because they make getting a clean kill easier. I use double sticks instead of single because they are more steady. We use expanding Ammunition to improve the chances of a clean kill, everything you do as a stalker is aimed at getting a clean kill - why use a bow when if you have land and reason you can legally own a selection of calibres that are more than capable of killing deer cleanly.

+1. Bang on.

The content of this thread is about as useful as it was last time, and about as productive. So in order to save some folks from themselves, I have closed the thread.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back