How have you set up your 4x4

nickcutter85

All,

I am just purchasing a Defender 90 hard top for a number of reasons but was wondering if anyone has done anything useful inside for setting their 4 x 4 up for deer stalking or Picking up?

My thoughts so far are as follows

Thick rubber floor mat
Blue towl dispenser
Multiple mounted cargo nets for "things"
A shelf sort of thing for retaining guns or cartridges over the wheel box.
Rear internal and external working light

Thanks

Nick

ive got a ford ranger king cab with -

3 1/2 ton winch bolted down onto the chassy

ex forestry commission ramp that sits on the tail gate

steel gun box behind the front seats and i took the back seats out and made a dog guard to fit .

its my adaptation of a forestry commission ford ranger

I have a Hilux Surf and apart from fitting a set of mud tyres I just chuck everything in the cavernous boot which has a pound shop tarpaulin covering the carpet, but it hasn't worked because the carpet is still bloodstained. I did have a GunMate™ bolted in the back but it kept getting in the way.
When I go foxing I have a suction mounted rest that attaches to the door and a set of roof bars that can be used to rest on from standing on the back bumper/step for extra elevation.

In my disco I folded the back seats up and built a plywood shell to go in there, I can hide all kinds of "crap" around the sides. A carcass tray (plasterer's bath) fits in nicely with some space left over.

Deer Rut 027.jpg

I cut a rubber mat for the back of my hilux and screwed it to the tail gate. It allows dogs grip jumping in and stops them trapping their feet in the gap. I have a spotlight on the back for reversing when lamping. Its switched off most of the time. The last 3 vehicles I have had have all had a platform made from wood for about 30% of the back. My spaniels love to sit up on it and I have left the front open so I can slide guns/tools/game/carcase tray under it if I want.

"Blue towl dispenser" !!!

Every 4x5 should definitely have one. Crucial on dumper trucks too, I'd have thought.

You could wipe all the nasty mud and unmentionables off the tyres and never get bogged down, excellent idea.

I see one company offering RoeBuck Green toweling... even better.

Just sold a landrover 90 county , mud plugging tyres , 9 inch shelf to take rifles and shotguns just behind the top seats with dog gaurd above that , ammo safe bolted to wheel arch and a very happy springer with all round vision . if work picks up i will buy another without hesitation

Rear working light, inside working light (OE light is like a birthday candle) cut out roof with frame work and lid for lamping, plug in points x2 for lamps, rubber matting.

Tom

Ex FC Ranger with all the bells and whistles so all I had to do was change a couple of the radio pre-sets, move the seat base back a notch, and adjust the mirrors (quite easy, they are electric).

Actually one thing I did do was fit an inline fuse and female spade connectors to what had been the supply to the fag lighter to give a good aux power source.

For the internal light in my hardtop I got a 12v fluorescent tube assembly from a caravan / camping shop, meant to go in a caravan. Mounted it on the central roof strut and it works perfectly. Also have rubber mat which is smooth which makes it easy to wash blood and mud off. A plasterers bath fits sideways perfectly too. Mud terrain tyres also help, got stuck twice before I got them. Worst part was having a friend use a Hilux to recover me!

I set up my Jimny by collapsing the back seats and sticking a dog cage on top of them. I then spent a year cramming items around the cage, items ranging from traps to bags of feed to 25l water carriers to roe carcasses. This has led to a small foul smelling lagoon in the boot region and one chronically chewed seatbelt (now removed for safety reasons). In retrospect this was a poor way to set up my 4x4.

Remind me to remove this post when it comes time to sell my Jimny.

I set up my Jimny by collapsing the back seats and sticking a dog cage on top of them. I then spent a year cramming items around the cage, items ranging from traps to bags of feed to 25l water carriers to roe carcasses. This has led to a small foul smelling lagoon in the boot region and one chronically chewed seatbelt (now removed for safety reasons). In retrospect this was a poor way to set up my 4x4.

Remind me to remove this post when it comes time to sell my Jimny.

:thumb::rofl:

I got a Defender sunroof of Ebay £15, fitted it in the rear roof with help of a jig saw! Glass comes out in one, ideal to lamp from. Custom made gun rack behind seats, and aux power supply using lawn mower 2 pin electric sockets( never overheat) for lamp power. Stainless steel, removable, full rear floor tray, for carcasses. And large Aluminium dog box ! 235 SST Coopers get it about and a 2" Lift kit!

Was it that easy!?
Yes!!! A bit nerve racking making the first cut, but I checked marks and measurements about three times beforehand! Some black silicone sealant under the seal and Bingo! I have made a couple of strengthening struts that fit inside the roof either side of the hatch. The real beauty of this set up is , that you can duck out of sight at any time! The only down side is its a bit tight for two people(lamp and rifle) at the same time!!

Yes!!! A bit nerve racking making the first cut, but I checked marks and measurements about three times beforehand! Some black silicone sealant under the seal and Bingo! I have made a couple of strengthening struts that fit inside the roof either side of the hatch. The real beauty of this set up is , that you can duck out of sight at any time! The only down side is its a bit tight for two people(lamp and rifle) at the same time!!

Oh bugger look what your going to make me do!

Oh bugger look what your going to make me do!
try a roof rack round it and cover it with that foam pipe lagging . I have a ranger with a roof mounted light and a box section frame with a swivel seat in it that drops in the back and is ratchet strapped in place , an inter com out of a gluider would be nice to speak to the driver/lamp man

Defender 90 ,made a ply box behind seats to sit rifle in and keep spare hat gloves lamps etc,dog guard sits behind box and tiewrapped a few organiser pockets onto it for odds+sods,webbing bag also on there with knife, saw,wipes etc for carcasse prep,lightforce 170 roofmounted lamp wired direct to battery so no worries about leads to get tangled up in,also rear worklamp is wired direct from battery via relay and switch on dash.In back i have a checkerplate box mounted on unistrut from top of bulkhead back to rear window which carries tools first aid kit and spare clothes out of the way and waterproof and is lockable so bolt and ammo can go there if required and can jam a couple of plastic boxes under it above wheel box so ive got a clear loadspace,in loadspace ive fitted lino with a 50mm upturn round sides and back and sealed with silicone and on top of this is a very heavy duty rubber mat which lifts out to clean and you can hose down the lino as it can get quite smelly when blood sits there,stuck thin but strong liner material to sides and roof which cuts condensation right down and makes it a bit warmer and quieter,usually have numerous jackets kicking about as well which double up as dogs bed too, can get 4 stags in back without to much trouble if theres 2 of you!every stalkers vehicle should have a h4h sticker on it also.

Last edited:
try a roof rack round it and cover it with that foam pipe lagging . I have a ranger with a roof mounted light and a box section frame with a swivel seat in it that drops in the back and is ratchet strapped in place , an inter com out of a gluider would be nice to speak to the driver/lamp man

Thanks, I'll put some thought into it.

Back