A o l q

Monument veiw

Following a discussion with Avon and Somerset firearms dept i would like to know if any F A C holders have been granted a certificate with any other lawful quarry on it . I was told today that it is not been granted on there certs

Last edited:
Have you checked out/searched the 'Legal Issues' section of the forum? Plenty of threads on there dealing with the subject and, IIRC, some responses from A&S residents.

BTW, it's Any Other Lawful Quarry - there is a difference. ;)

A&S have a reputation for being a bit sticky, unlike some of the surrounding forces who realise that AOLQ makes a lot of sense; D&C, Thames Valley are two.

Last edited:
Hi, you got me thinking with this question so I checked my cert (its brand spanking new) and it says that my rifle and ammo are for shooting vermin and any other lawful quarry. I hadn't actually noticed that until now. By any other lawful quarry I assume that they mean ground game suitable for the caliber of rifle I own, ie a .22lr. Why would a force bother to restrict someone to only shooting 'vermin' ? Any thoughts on this ?

Regards, Olaf

If that is the exact wording on your cert, then it also covers foxes under the AOLQ as there is no legally specified minimum calibre for fox.

Si,

All the forces I know of who condition AOLQ always state the largest (pimary) quarry species first such as deer and AOLQ or fox and AOLQ.
Therefore I would suggest that vermin and AOLQ does not cover fox.

Mine certainly does.

The reason i asked is to find out if anyone in avon and somerset has had a cert issued with AOLQ i did question if i could shoot hares with my .177 hmr as the open cert states for vermin control and i would consider hares as ground game .

Si,

All the forces I know of who condition AOLQ always state the largest (pimary) quarry species first such as deer and AOLQ or fox and AOLQ.
Therefore I would suggest that vermin and AOLQ does not cover fox.

Mine certainly does.

I have no doubt that's how they intend it to be interpretted but unless AOLQ stands for 'any other lesser quarry" they seem to have dropped a clanger on this occasion.

by the way the reply to the hare question was yes you can shoot hares , just as well otherwise i would have been a naughty boy for the last 3 yrs .

Last edited:
by the way the reply to the hare question was yes you can shoot hares , just as well otherwise i would have been a naughty boy for the last 3 yrs .

Was that reply from A&S firearms licensing in response to you only having 'vermin' on your ticket?

Maybe they need to look up the definitions of 'game' and 'vermin' in a source that they should be familiar with then. ;)

Home Office Guidance to Police:

Shooting Small Quarry Species,
including Game and Pest Species
(Vermin)
13.16 The term “game” covers certain birds
and animals that may be shot for food and
sport. Apart from deer which are dealt with
below, these may include rabbit, hare,
pheasant, partridge, grouse, woodcock and
other game birds. The term “vermin” is not
defined in law, but it may include destructive
species that cause damage to crops or
property such as rabbits, mink, stoat, weasel,
brown rat, and grey squirrel, as well as some
birds such as wood pigeon, rook and crow
Foxes are dealt with in paragraphs 13.23

I take it from your forum moniker that you are near to Wellington? You could save yourself a shedload of aggro and move the few miles into D&C territory. They are a bit more sensible down here.

Last edited:
I tried to get that wording on my FAC the last time I renewed, and despite showing my FEO the article which was printed in the Shooting Times about the APO guidance he was having none of it. A@S are renown for making up their own rules.

Orion, the momument is not Wellington but Nibley which you can see when travelling N on the M5 in the Stroud/Dursley area.

D

West Mercia will not entertain granting AOLQ. I have been told, in writing, that only two others have asked for it and they did not see the need to grant the requests.

Simon

Thanks for your comments , it seems that A and S tend to right their own rules as on several occasions i have quoted legislation and their answer is always the same ( the interpetation of legislations are the decision of A S constabulary and the chief constable of police and when i mentioned in which case i shall appeal the reply was you have no right of appeal when requesting a variation .

Back