Council dickhead and HSE T--T

trooper3.1

Hi all had a ding dong with a dickhead from the council today, coming up the Brampton Rd found 2 vehicles in one of the field entrances so i pulled up and asked them if i could help not unless you are the land owner:confused:, my reply no i am not the land owner but i am the estate manager, what do you want, you need to cut the rest of the hedges back he told me, not cutting this side till Feb next year i told him.

Why, why because the song birds and other wildlife are nesting in them at the mo, there only f--king birds he said:mad:, that was it for me told them to get in their cars and f--k of now, this they did but the head muppet lowered his window a bit and shouted out YOU AINT SEEN THE LAST OF ME W--KER. so will have to wait and see what comes of that one.

we had a HSE inspection this afternoon all went well until the dingbat told me i can no longer keep the rim fire or the shot gun in the cab of any of the clossed vehicles any more:confused: , Tractors , combine, and such my boss asked why and he said incase they fall over and shoot yourself:D, Jim told him when they are in the cab not loaded until going to use them:doh:, oh he said i thought all guns were loaded all the time, what a **** and he is suppose to be a HSE inspector.

paul

To many "Know All's" out there, "Know F**k All" if you get my meaning.

After all civility costs nothing.

Good on you Trooper.

Rgds, Buck.

Last edited:
Hi paul ask him for a method statement, for the use of a rimfire,by the way it has to be composed by a competent person ,which he definatley is NOT
local councils/ HSE can not impose restriction in the use /storage of firearms they can make a suggestion
I have had many a long meeting with Several HSE officers and they are quite often out of their depth and do not know firearms regulations/laws.

I think you had better batten down the hatches with the council bloke though,get some backup with the local wildlife officer and rspb,NFU also is quite useful whenever a dispute arises.

i wouldn't mind but the hedges are back from the road about metre and half and its an unclassiffed road so dont get alot of use, just an idiot who has no idea of what he is doing both of them.

paul

If you own or are responsible for a hedge that runs along a highway you have a duty to cut it be that a Road or walkway if you fail to do so the council can take action to cut it and recharge you all costs and believe me it will be cheaper to cut it yourself as for nesting birds the highway act out weighs any concerns for nesting birds on health and safety grounds.

i'd maybe just cut your hedges !

I would think that using foul and abusive language towards a member of the public would be gross misconduct and possibly a sacking offence.

I would not let this pass.

I believe swearing on the public hi-way is still a public order offence.

Being a public employee, so called Civil servant, swearing at a member of the public must be Gross Industrial misconduct and it's an instant dismissal offence. Now go and find a poorly maintained hedge that is the councils responsibility,, should not be hard to do and report it. take photos contact you councillor and your MP and give them something else to do.

dont birds nest in the spring time not the winter

The issue with cutting hedges at this time of year, especially as the winter has yet to really harden up, is the loss of berries that will soon become invaluable to the local bird population.

Alas as has already been said H+S trumps all in our society.

If all farmers were so concerned about the local bird population lasting the winter why do 99% of them nail every hedge down to a few feet off the ground straight after harvest surely all hedges should be left until winter has passed !

yes we know all the regs but the hedge runs from the A1 north bound into Grafham it must be a good 1 1/2 metres from the edge of the road it interfers with nothing you can stand at the edge of the road and you can not touch the hedge so it is not causing any one a problem, we normaly cut all the hedges along both sides of the lane even the bits thats not ours, even the horse riders can ride down the grass edge and not touch the hedge its self.

paul

dont birds nest in the spring time not the winter
yes normaly its been so warm we have wrens nesting and in a couple of the areas we have also got greenfinchies, bulfinchies and some nuthatches but here is a line from the Wildlife and countryside act 1981

Under Section 1 of the Act it is an offence to take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird intentionally while it is in use or being built. It would be an intentional act, for example, if contractors continue to cut or remove a hedge after they have been told that birds are nesting there.

i know some people dont give a flying you no what about wildlife but if we dont look after it now its had it, and its only another month or so it wont hurt to leave it for that time frame we do it every year, i dont know why the council were out i will have to bite my lip and ask them why they want it cut back now, i will take some pictures tomorrow and see what you all think.

paul

If all farmers were so concerned about the local bird population lasting the winter why do 99% of them nail every hedge down to a few feet off the ground straight after harvest surely all hedges should be left until winter has passed !
i dont know cant answer for others can only tell you what we do have have done for the last 20 years i have been with the company.

paul

yes normaly its been so warm we have wrens nesting and in a couple of the areas we have also got greenfinchies, bulfinchies and some nuthatches.
paul

That's interesting Paul. Now I think about it this is not the first I have heard of confused birds beginning to nest. What with cock pheasants sparring and daffodils sprouting everything seems a little cockeyed at the moment.

Good on ya trooper , my type off management . Now chaps hedges are full of berries and over wintering insects for all types of birds , the wrens wont be nesting but using old nests as roosts . We need more blokes like this

Are you sure the council were the council?? Did you see identification? Seems a bit odd the council coming out the blue on an unclassified road to complain about hedges that are totally fine. I've seen this kind off stuff before and it's been poachers and criminals organising crime, fly tipping etc, it's always something to watch out for. Keep a note of vehicle number plates and report to the police!

As above, exactly my thoughts, are there any cables running along the road, both underground and overground.

I've been told that alot of the copper cable thieves get away with it by looking as official as possible and ballsing it out if confronted.

Back