Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: removing an unused primer.

  1. #1

    removing an unused primer.

    I have some home loads that I was given with the loading gear I bought. The problem I have is that they will not cycle in my rifle. So My question is, can I decap the primer safely if it has not been used? So that I can resize the casing.


    Thanks

  2. #2
    I just run them through resizing. Never had one go off yet

  3. #3
    Make sure you have glasses on but you should be fine

    Dave

  4. #4
    There are a couple of ways to do it safely. Safest is to remove bullet and powder, then put the rounds in the rifle and fire off the primers. It's not safe to attempt to reuse them, so firing them removes the problem of having to dispose of them as they can go in the general waste.

    Alternatively, you can soak them for a few days in oil, before running them through the de-capper. You will need to thoroughly clean the cases before you attempt to reload them though, else the oil might well pool at the bottom of the cartridge and cause misfires when you reload them.

    You can punch them out without firing them or neutralising them, but you need to do it gently and make sure you dispose of them safely.

    Firing them is the easiest (and the most fun!)

  5. #5
    Pull the bullets, dump the powder and decap them. No oil necessary. Go slow.

    Now.
    The Admonition.
    NEVER ATTEMPT TO SHOOT SOMEONE ELSE'S RELOADS IN YOUR RIFLE!!!!
    It is an unsafe and foolish practice...~Muir

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricksport View Post
    I have some home loads that I was given with the loading gear I bought. The problem I have is that they will not cycle in my rifle. So My question is, can I decap the primer safely if it has not been used? So that I can resize the casing.


    Thanks
    hi tricksport, i brought 100 rws once fired cases from norman clarkes and found that about 20 of the cases wouldent fit in the rifle. even after resizing they still wouldent fit so ended up binning them. i have some with live primers and resize these as normal without the primers going off. regards biker1
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

  7. #7
    Thank you all for the advice.


    Muir: The only reason that I have used the loads that came with the kit is because they are loaded to the minimum starting load in the manual and as that is where I would be starting from to work up a load didn't see a problem. I am new to home loading and would welcome any advice/tips from more experienced loaders.


    Thanks again

    Earl

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    There are a couple of ways to do it safely. Safest is to remove bullet and powder, then put the rounds in the rifle and fire off the primers. It's not safe to attempt to reuse them, so firing them removes the problem of having to dispose of them as they can go in the general waste.

    Alternatively, you can soak them for a few days in oil, before running them through the de-capper. You will need to thoroughly clean the cases before you attempt to reload them though, else the oil might well pool at the bottom of the cartridge and cause misfires when you reload them.

    You can punch them out without firing them or neutralising them, but you need to do it gently and make sure you dispose of them safely.

    Firing them is the easiest (and the most fun!)
    Top advice and nice clear response - Nice one Matt!

  9. #9
    Remove the bullet and powder from the cartridge, then remove the decapping pin from the die.Now resize the cartridge as normal, job done.

    This suggestion of soaking in oil before de-priming does not always/rarely works as most moderm primers are sealed in a varnish/shellac type substance to prevent drawing damp from the air.
    Last edited by EMcC; 02-12-2011 at 09:25. Reason: Hygroscopic

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricksport View Post
    Thank you all for the advice.


    Muir: The only reason that I have used the loads that came with the kit is because they are loaded to the minimum starting load in the manual and as that is where I would be starting from to work up a load didn't see a problem. I am new to home loading and would welcome any advice/tips from more experienced loaders.


    Thanks again

    Earl
    The safe thing to do is dispose of the powder, if the original powder had become contaminated with a faster burning one this is exceptionally dangerous and a risk not to take. In respect of the primers just deprime in the normal way, use eye protection and leather work gloves as a precaution.
    I had to unload around 50 rounds as the headspace was slightly too long, my Blaser rifle would chamber but not fire them. By way of experiment I re-used a primer into an empty case and it worked ok so I re-used the others, although others say not to do this. I will no doubt be enlightened why so please do not follow my example unless you just want to dispose of them by firing in an empty case

Similar Threads

  1. removing velvet
    By pj1 in forum Taxidermy & Trophy Preparation
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 23:21
  2. removing old fhotos from you account
    By bobjs in forum Site Help/Problems
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-11-2011, 18:35
  3. removing a carcass across neighbours land
    By swatty in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 30-01-2011, 17:51
  4. Removing Moly coating
    By Jos in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 09:47
  5. Removing a gun Cabinet
    By Dan Newcombe in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24-03-2009, 11:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •