Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rape poisoning

rape poisoning

when i did DSC level one rape poisoning was brought up mainly for Roe deer ,do other species also suffer from it?

Rape causes the roe around us to scour. It seems to affect youngsters more than adults.
    KevinF -

what an educational article!
    excuse my ignorance, but i did not realize rape was such a bad diet for deer.
    i have a few roe no the land i shoot over, and they always seem to be eating rape!!!
    one of the questions on dscl1 "if a roe is feeding on rape and appears blind and no fear of man, it should culled and destroyed. unfit for human consumption."
    what is the answer. a very early cull for the youngsters.
    why cant they go into the food chain.
    thanks for any replies, mark.

My understanding was that blindness occurs as a result lesions on the brain affecting the visual cortex. The lesions themselves are as a result of Hydrogen Sulphide poisoning which is produced in the rumen as the body attempts to break down the plant. The hydrogen part coming from the stomach acid and the sulphur from the plant.
    Last edited by aliS; 02-12-2011 at 08:20.

Quote Originally Posted by keeperstweed View Post
    what an educational article!
    excuse my ignorance, but i did not realize rape was such a bad diet for deer.
    i have a few roe no the land i shoot over, and they always seem to be eating rape!!!
    one of the questions on dscl1 "if a roe is feeding on rape and appears blind and no fear of man, it should culled and destroyed. unfit for human consumption."
    what is the answer. a very early cull for the youngsters.
    why cant they go into the food chain.
    thanks for any replies, mark.
    Culled straight away regardless of seasons and age. I think as well as the blindness the deer will be suffering from things like atrophy as well as possible infections and toxins of stomach. I would not even consider letting it enter the food chain if it was blind but I don't know the offical answer. If it was feeding on Rape and appeared to show no signs then I would.

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Culled straight away regardless of seasons and age. I think as well as the blindness the deer will be suffering from things like atrophy as well as possible infections and toxins of stomach. I would not even consider letting it enter the food chain if it was blind but I don't know the offical answer. If it was feeding on Rape and appeared to show no signs then I would.
    "Culled straight away regardless of seasons or age"
    What would happen in this scenario?

Supposing you shot the animal out of season and the law got involved. If you said it was blind through eating rape, you could be asked if you are qualified to make that judgement.
    Animal welfare does have it`s place here but the law doesn`t always see it our way.

I know it`s a long shot that it would happen but it could.......................
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Hi Basil, thats a valid point and a good challange.

Yes cull straight away if the deer appears blind and has no fear of man... Section 25 of the deer act Scotland 1996 will be your legal footing in my opinion. Qualifications such as DSC level one specifically mentions the symptoms and actions upon discovering such an animal.

In Scotland

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...9960058_en.pdf

A person shall not be guilty of an offence against this Act or any order made under this Act in respect of any act done for the purpose of preventing suffering by—

(a)
    an injured or diseased deer; or

(b)

by any deer calf, fawn or kid deprived, or about to be deprived, of its mother.

England and Wales

Deer Act 1991, offences relating to deer, section 6 - general exceptions to certain provisions of this Act, Para (2) A person shall not be guilty of an offence under section 2 or section 3 above by reason of any act done for the purpose of preventing the suffering of an injured or diseased deer.
    Last edited by aliS; 03-12-2011 at 09:25.

I think you'll find that the vast majority of these cases occur when the Roe are feeding on the "00" variety of rape, which I'm told we don't grow much of on the UK mainland.........yet.

Nearly all of the Oilseed rape grown in this country is of the 00 variety, or double low, low in glucosinolates and Eurucic acid, the other varieties grown on a much smaller scale are known as HEAR (high Eurucic acid rape - grown solely for industrial purposes rather than human/animal consumption).

The ingestion of significant quantities of rape by larger mammals including roe is believed to occur when the animal is deprived of its more natural food source such as during sustained hard weather or when the animal has not been "educated" such as orphaned kids feeding on rape (although I will happily stand corrected on this). The "poisoning" occurs due to the metabolised sulphides, Sulphoxides and thyocyanates (cyanide) leading to a thyocyanote Psychosis and causes damage to cell membranes, the liver and blood - on gralloching the animals rumen will often be a horrible green colour. As a trained hunter should know this is a very specific condition and is easily recognisable when encountered (last year during the hard weather we had several instances), the animal is clearly in distress and therefore can legally be culled regardless of season.

The question in the bank of Level 1 questions specifically asks what a trained hunter should do if encountering the situation. The correct answer as confirmed by several assessors recently is to cull the animal and dispose of the carcass. This question came up on the last course we ran and again the correct answer was confirmed as cull and dispose. We always suggest to our candidates that if they would not eat the carcass themselves then the correct procedure is not to put it in the food chain (although some obvious ambiguity can occur here as well as some incorrect assumptions such as TB positive carcasses - one of which I shot 2 weeks ago.)

HME.

Welcome to Corinium Rifle Range
    Last edited by HME; 06-12-2011 at 05:21.