Can anyone possibly help me regarding ecology of UK deer please?

Richy

Firstly I'd just like to say hi since I'm a new member here.

I was just wondering if it was possible for anyone to help as I have volunteered on the estate where I work to undertake a small project regarding the interpretation of the ecology of deer.
Other than being able to ID deer I don't really know all that much about them - I did a countryside management diploma and although we did a small part on deer it was aimed more towards the conservation side of things i.e. protecting plantations and such.
So I thought this would be a good oppourtunity to get up to speed with deer and at the same time produce something useful for other people who aren't all that aware of their life cycle and ecology.

Basically, I'm looking at trying to create an annual time-line or a sort of yearly 'clock' containing the annual life cycles of the six UK deer species, the annual breeding ecology and then comparing the difference.
Also I'd like to have a small section explaining their habitat requirements in relation to their life-cycle.

I've been on the Deer Initiative's & other websites, who do seems to have some good information but it's not all that concsise in relation to what I'm looking for and was wondering if anyone would have a spare moment to lend a hand?

I've left it a bit late really as I was hoping to find some books in my local library but there seems to be a lack of books relating to ecology based subjects.

Would by hugely grateful if anyone could help.

Basically, I'm looking at trying to create an annual time-line or a sort of yearly 'clock' containing the annual life cycles of the six UK deer species, the annual breeding ecology and then comparing the difference.

Already been done and published by the BDS Richy, in 1987.

Only Roe and only on VHS that I am aware of but Bruce Potts made a film some years back :-

A year in the life f the Roe Deer.

Published by Sylvan Films.

The information you want for all six species is presented in 'clock' format in the 'Know your British Deer' Study Pack compiled by Jeanette Lawton which was published by the BDS and copyrighted in 1987. Having checked their site it doesn't look like it is available anymore. You might give them a call and see if they have any old copies about.

Wow, lots of replies - thanks :)

I've ordered the books suggested and some of the books that were related to those on Amazon so hopefully I should have a pretty concise source of information.
have also contacted the BDS regarding 'Know your British Deer' so all being well they should get back to be soon.

Thanks alot.

How would the ecology and life cycle of deer relate towards towards the approach you would take to manage them?

Fecundity & recruitment for sustainable yeilds.How many do you want ? How many do you want to shoot? Do you want to produce 8yo trophies or venison? Quality management? Trophy management ?Intensive trophy management? Are they a pest?.How do they disperse & use the habitat?Are they a threatening process to any other species?
Fawning,will you harvest hinds when there is dependent young?When how will you harvest? Male/female sex ratios?
Many deer have hind/doe ranges,the stags /bucks will come to these areas in the rut,then leave to hang out again with their mates,the different ranges need to be managed with this in mind.Where are those ranges?Are they a limiting factor?Etc,etc,etc,etc.

Deer will hook you worse than any drug run now before you catch it.LOL

Good luck with your work if its to late to quit.

Cheers Sharkey

Last edited:
The information you want for all six species is presented in 'clock' format in the 'Know your British Deer' Study Pack compiled by Jeanette Lawton which was published by the BDS and copyrighted in 1987. Having checked their site it doesn't look like it is available anymore. You might give them a call and see if they have any old copies about.

Jeanette is at The Deer Study & resource Centre, Trentham Gardens.

Check out the online shop for deer resources - study packs are in there - plus her book 'A Field Guide to Deer of Britain' http://www.deerstudy.com/collection...d-guide-to-deer-of-britain-by-jeanette-lawton

and DVD 'Introducing Britain's Deer' http://www.deerstudy.com/collections/dvds-cds/products/introducing-britains-deer-by-jeanette-lawton

Back