Double rifle info for someone with no idea bout em

sauer

hi folks

just read an article in sporting rifle regarding double rifle s x s in 9.3x74 was an AYA

wow....its beautiful..im biased as my firt ever shotgun was a sxs yeoman and had fantastice case hardening etc...love to see that on a gun......anyhoo.....

i was wondering.....obviously boar would be a obvious choice of quarry for these....but....

i really fancy one but i dont do owt really apart from Roe:eek:.... i do fancy doing the rest of our deer species so never know....

can you get a double rifle that would be suitable for our stuff nd boar ....say in a calibre that would be reasonably easy to get ammo in ? i dunnoe .308 ?

i prefer the idea of a side x side rather than over & under but i wouldnt be wanting summit thats gonna cost the winnings of the lottery...just summit i could have a walk with and enjoy now n again but could be used on boar or summit as well if chance ever came along?

maybe asking too much but just fancy trying something different....can imagine a wander/stalk with a nice sxs and taking a good roe .

sauer / paul

You can get Browning, Chapuis, Laurona, Baikal, Rizzini amongst others in side by side and over and under in 308/3006 etc etc aswell as 30R , 9.3x74 etc .

I know a few people who have them for "normal" shooting

Most European shotgun manufacturers make double rifles and combinations in calibres that are suitable for deer stalking. Rimmed cartridges usually work better than rimless cartridges such as .308 because of problems with ejectors or extractors but there are a few makers who produce rifles in .308. The rifles aren't always that expensive as for example the baikal but they are good fun even if a little exasperating on times such as when trying to regulate both barrels to the same point of aim.
I have a Unifrance (Zoli) over and under in 8x57irs, and a Chapuis 9.3x74r side by side both of which can be used for deer stalking. The secret is to remember it is stalking and not sniping so keep your ranges down to 100 yards.

I rather fancied the AYA in the article also, but the pricer is far too steep for me at £15,000.

May I suggest you ask around your local gunshops and see what sort of ammunition they stock or can get in any of the following:

7x65R
7x57R
8x57R

You will probably have less trouble getting your FEO and licensing department to allow these for deer stalking than a 9.3x74R not only are they actually smaller but then also sound smaller and that's seems to be important to lots of the licensing folks.

Once you have that information you can start looking at what is available and prices Zoli of Italy do make some rather splendid looking side by side rifles. I used to admire one in the window of the gunshop in Boulogne when we did shopping trips down there some years ago. I am not sure what procedure you have to do to purchase one from France but they were certainly cheaper there than here. Of course things may have changed what with the Euro and recession :cry:.

I have not seen nor read the article so cannot comment on the AYA.

May I suggest you ask around your local gunshops and see what sort of ammunition they stock or can get in any of the following:

7x65R
7x57R
8x57R

You will probably have less trouble getting your FEO and licensing department to allow these for deer stalking than a 9.3x74R not only are they actually smaller but then also sound smaller and that's seems to be important to lots of the licensing folks.
I agree - all good versatile calibres and suitable for deer and boar.

yep, don't go down the road of .308 if you want to shoot on the continent ever though.....military spec 'n all.....stick to non military calibres to keep your options open!

cheers guys

i was thinking in an ideal world of a claibre that could cover everything deer & boar wise.....id love to try on eof these i think...i take it the "R" after each claibre stands for rimmed ?

if i was to get one of thes it certainly would be like a baikal or summit "budget"!! not the AYA unfortunately......

sxs or O&U i wouldnt say no hee hee

sauer/ paul

Last edited:
As Brithunter says double rifles or as the French normally call them "express rifles" are much cheaper in France, and its no real bother to buy in France and bring back on the train or ferry as long as you get the paperwork sorted out before you go. Both of my doubles were bought in France mainly because my local dealer or the importers couldn't be bothered to get one for me. Mind though that things have changed recently and now there are one or two dealers and importers who sell such rifles in this country.
Don't even think about trying to buy a double in France in a "military" calibre such as .308 or .30-06 as rifles that can chamber such cartridges then fall into a much higher category under their legislation.

cheers guys

i was thinking in an ideal world of a claibre that could cover everything deer & boar wise.....id love to try on eof these i think...i take it the "R" after each claibre stands for rimmed ?

if i was tog et one of thes it certainly would be like a baikal or summit "budget"!!

sauer/ paul

Paul yes the "R" means they are rimmed of should we say Flanged as we are in Britain :tiphat:. Any of those I mentioned are suitable for Boar as well as deer.

Just something to bear in mind though ...................................... Budget as in cheap doe really fit with a double rifle. Regulation, the act of getting both barrels to shoot together at a fixed distance, is a bit time consuming and so adds to the overall production price as does the second rifled barrel.

If your serious about looking at a Baikal Dbl rifle then I suggest you try talking to Lewis Potter as he had a 30-06 for a while to test and play with and could give you a hands on report.

As Brithunter says double rifles or as the French normally call them "express rifles" are much cheaper in France, and its no real bother to buy in France and bring back on the train or ferry as long as you get the paperwork sorted out before you go. Both of my doubles were bought in France mainly because my local dealer or the importers couldn't be bothered to get one for me. Mind though that things have changed recently and now there are one or two dealers and importers who sell such rifles in this country.
Don't even think about trying to buy a double in France in a "military" calibre such as .308 or .30-06 as rifles that can chamber such cartridges then fall into a much higher category under their legislation.

Without being rude, when you say much cheaper, what are we talking about price wise. I was starting to lean towords a bolt action Full stock rather than a double rifle.

Mark

I have just bought a fabarm in 9.3x74R (I know where theres its sister for not many dollars).
003.jpg

the action is fabarm and barrels are stamped merkel of germany.
it is single trigger and ejesctor.
004.jpg

006.jpg

I am waiting for the swing off mounts also merkel and am fitting my red dot.
R0012065.jpg

R0012066.jpg

am pigging in bulgaria on the 18th for 3 days.

Thank you for that. I have spent some time reading the entire story excellent work.

I have to admit if it were mine I would want more traditional ribs though...... I am not one bit green really I am not jealous at all.

Back