Thread: I learnt about stalking from that

I learnt about stalking from that

Had the offer of a morning on the reds this morning, far too good an opportunity to pass up so got my ass out of bed this morning at 04:30 and took a gentle drive out to my buddies house.

Spent two hours freezing my ass off in a very windy high seat, just about to suggest that we call it a day and retire to a local hostelry for a well deserved breakfast, when my peace was shattered by a bang, then a phone call from my buddy watch the wood in front you might get some action coming your way, the stalker in the wood in front of where I was sitting had a taken a shot and wounded a deer and there's a good chance it's headed your way. 10 minutes goes by and out pops 2 hinds and two calves, none of the calves were in distress or wounded and they came past me at 100 mph right to my good good buddie who dropped the lead hind and it's calf. Quick jump down and a wander over to the scene and help him clear up, when we hear another bang quickly followed by a phone call and the request for help as he was having trouble following up.

Let me make one thing clear here before anyone starts thinking the worse, I do not blame the stalker in question, if you shoot deer one day it will all go wrong and it is about putting it right as quickly as possible with the deer as the main priority.

So what did I learn about this morning, chest shoot deer, have the number of a guy with a good deer dog and when a deer runs it can go a bloody long way!

'So what did I learn about this morning, chest shoot deer, have the number of a guy with a good deer dog and when a deer runs it can go a bloody long way!'[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, mistakes get made; a good stalker learns from them, I hope said deer were located and dispatched. Shots don't have to be far off for a head shot to end disasterously for the deer, they don't run far with a bullet in their heart or lungs though.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    'So what did I learn about this morning, chest shoot deer, have the number of a guy with a good deer dog and when a deer runs it can go a bloody long way!'
    Couldn't agree more, mistakes get made; a good stalker learns from them, I hope said deer were located and dispatched. Shots don't have to be far off for a head shot to end disasterously for the deer, they don't run far with a bullet in their heart or lungs though.[/QUOTE]

it was found , nearly 4 hrs and a mile later by myself and my bmh xena !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

good work, dog and handler, pleased to hear it.

Its fair to say that wounded red don't lay up in the nearest bramble patch, they keep going! Side on, head up, text book chest shot works for me. Glad all ended well.

ys

chris

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    it was found , nearly 4 hrs and a mile later by myself and my bmh xena !
    It was an awesome track buddie, and a super take down at the end!

Well done in finding it, and very well done for your persistence. It seems that every time you think you're getting a handle on stalking - especially reds, something new comes along to test you. Often it involves issues with humans, rather than the animals themselves...

after 2 bad shots i think it would be better to have stopped and checked the sight , but you are right in that the bloke who says hes never got it wrong hasnt done much