Recommended bino's??

.Skinner.

Hi all!

As I'm getting into deer stalking (DSC1 next week, application for deer-legal calibre hopefully soon after!), I realise I need to sort myself out with some decent bino's!! Should have some already really, since getting my .22 I realise I really need some!
I am not totally sure on budget yet..... As I've got to factor in what I'm spending on rifle, scope, mod etc. etc..... But I would ideally go decent second hand I reckon, rather than not-so-good brand new if you know what I mean!
What is an ideal magnification to start off with? I don't really want a huge pair of bino's. Also what sort of price range puts me into decent second hand??

Any information would be helpful, I figured it's much better to speak to you guys with all your wealth of knowledge rather than go out and buy a pair and maybe get ripped off!

Without a budget it is difficult to advise, Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica are probably on a par top end, with steiner and Minox a bit cheaper but still not cheap going down to Leupolds, cheaper minox, the list is endless. The IOR Binos Border Barrels are doing are probably the best value for optical quality I have seen. They are a wee bit heavy and not the prettiest though.

Dave

swarovski el 10x42's,good a second hand pair will be around 900 quid but they are worth every penny,i would recommend these to anybody,they are best bino's out there bar none :D

Cheers for the replies guys :)
I've had a bit of a think about budget, it's gonna be a lot lower than 900 i'm afraid, much as i'd like a pair of swaro's!! Is there much in the 200-500 range??!

Hate to say this again but over the years I have spent a fortune on optics Scopes/binos If I had been patiant buy the best you can afford even if it means scrimping for a month or two and buy once.Dont do as I did and spend annually on cheap ones.

Cheers for the replies guys :)
I've had a bit of a think about budget, it's gonna be a lot lower than 900 i'm afraid, much as i'd like a pair of swaro's!! Is there much in the 200-500 range??!

I baught a pair of Burrus for £350 and they are very good. They are not as good as the top end ones by any means but once the zeiss arrive they will make a good pair as a back up and have got me out of some muddles. Well made and come with lens covers which is more than some of the smaller Zeiss do. I would recommend these if you have that sort of budget.

Mark

I've heard a lot of very good things about Steiner bino's and you can pick up a new pair for around the £300 mark. Some of the Bushnell ones are OK. I like ones that are around 7 or 8 x 40mm ish. The larger objective lenses seem to clumbersome to me and anything smaller doesn't quiet have the same intensity. Out of the big three swarovski's have the best reputation for after sales service and a good second hand pair can still carry a large warrenty. Google R Macleod, Tain and see what second hand Bino's he has, he also has a good number of quality second hand scopes.

Use the search bar on here you'll find lots of praise for Swarokvski's and there after sale service.

IMHO swarovski el 8.5x42's are the best binos I have used. However rangefinding binos are useful too. I agree with roedeerred about buying the best you can once. Think how many years you might want to stalk, wacth wildlife etc. Remember you will use you binos more than your scope/rifle. If you cant see them you cant shoot them

I have Steiner pro 8 x 42 cost around £ 350 new and I am very pleased with them. Try before you buy in low light conditions if possible.Personally I prefer a lightweight pair. Swarovski EL's seem to be the bench mark that everyone aspires too but they can be a bit of a budget buster

IMHO swarovski el 8.5x42's are the best binos I have used. However rangefinding binos are useful too. I agree with roedeerred about buying the best you can once. Think how many years you might want to stalk, wacth wildlife etc. Remember you will use you binos more than your scope/rifle. If you cant see them you cant shoot them

I agree with all this but on the other hand if Its a budget of £500 and thats not going to change for some time, then between us all we need to help skinner find some for that price as the other option is that he just does not go stalking until he can afford them which could be months or he stalks without them at all. I know what I would rather see because I dont know how anyone can stalk without a set of bins of some discription.

Regards

Mark

Have a look at the Kahles bins, I have a pair I got from Macleods of Tain, may just be within your price range.

John

One of my shooting buddies uses a set of Bushnell Fusion 1600 arc LRF binos.
Good clear optics, work well in low light and no LRF to carry with you.

Could be worth a look as they can be had new for £600.

Many thanks to all of you for your help :) I've got a lot to think about..... I definitely realise how buying the best I can afford is the way to go, even if it means stretching the budget.... It's just tough as I'm starting out so probably spending 2 grand just on the rifle/scope/mod combo! I'll have a further look round at the some of the second hand options mentioned by you guys, meanwhile I'll see if I can work on that budget.... :)
Thanks!

If I had a 2k budget for a rifle and was clawing at every other penny for a pair of bins I'd soon drop the rifle budget to £1200 and get a really good set of binoculars. For £1200 you'll get a good second hand rifle set up. As mentioned already you'll use the binoculars a whole load more than the rifle so the binoculars are probably not the place to be fruggle.

Back