Thread: questions on double rifles

questions on double rifles

All this talk of double rifles is making me want one

Say I have the cash for a side by side double riffle, say budget is £1,000 to £5,000, and I wanted to use if for boar and potentially for african game, what would be the ideal calibre to go for that is not too over-gunned for board, and not under-gunned for dangerous game in africa (I'm not talking elephants but maybe buffalo).?

sorry, new to this one, but very interested

say I booked a few days boar hunting and such, would the FEO's possibly let me have permission without too much grief?

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post

Say I have the cash for a side by side double riffle, say budget is £1,000 to £5,000, and I wanted to use if for boar and potentially for african game, what would be the ideal calibre to go for that is not too over-gunned for board, and not under-gunned for dangerous game in africa (I'm not talking elephants but maybe buffalo).?

say I booked a few days boar hunting and such, would the FEO's possibly let me have permission without too much grief?
    Go and have a look at the accuratereloading site - there is a whole forum section on double rifles. I understand there is a deadly disease called doublerifleitis, whch a complication if you suffer from acutefineshotgunor rifle syndrome. Deadly in that you never recover.

Conscensus is that the 9.3x74 is a pretty good alround double rifle calibre - more than enough for boar, and OK ish for big game - and affordable in that any number of good over and under and side by sides of European make in this calibre. for c£2,500 you can get a Beretta / Browing / Zoli etc. For quite a lot less there are the Baikals, and for c£5,000 you are moving into Kreighoff / Merkel / Heym sort of terratory.

The alternative is to go for a half double - i.e. a combination gun like I have in a good deer calibre such as 7x65R and load the top barrel with a slug if ever you are on driven game - there are quite a few in the auctions.

Or go for the Finnclassic - the old Tikka 512, now built in Italy - http://www.marocchiarms.com/index.ph...&product_id=15 - on the one basic action you would have a good all round 12 bore shotgun, a mid range combo / double rifle - say in 7mm, plus a pair of double rifle barrels in 9.3x74R.

Have fun

www.oldmillguns.co.uk have a lovely Winchester o/u and Chapuis s/s.

Double rifles sound like an excellent idea, I reckon I'd want a pro-hunter with another one ready to go, standing beside me 'Just in case' when hunting dangerous game though......& would prefer to have a calibre man enough for the buffalo. Cheers,
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Just get a proper double a 470

C'mon:-

You don't really believe you can get by without the grief .................................................. ........ do you?

As for calibres for your ideal and chambering may I humbly suggest the 450/400 ........................ this seems to be be making a come back even Ruger makes the No1 chambered in this now:-

Ruger #1H in 450/400 N.E

It seems that Heym, Krighoff and ANTONIO ZOLI, O/U Double Rifle, Express, .450 / .400 NE plus others probably make them too.

Loaded with a cast lead bullet it would be excellent all rounder plus you can use jacketed as well. I believe a 350 grain cast HP bullet would be excellent on deer.

have a read on this, OK it's an O/U rifle but........................................ :-

A quote from the article:-

Phil used the Zoli to take this
    Kodiak blacktail at 130 yards
    Just remember this is a gun writer so read it with that in mind :-

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazin...255partial.pdf

http://www.zoli-northamerica.com/dou...ss-silver.html

Last edited by Brithunter; 06-12-2011 at 09:42.

.375 h&h or .458win, you won't have a major issue getting ammo for it in Africa.
    Some people on here have .375 for deer in the uk + travel abroad.

Of course, if the recoil doesn't make your eyes water, ammo cost certainly will.

At 5k you are limited but you could look at a Sabati 450/400 ......they are at the lower end of the market but are darn fine doubles.....at a little more you can look at a Blaser S2 .... what makes the Blaser a solid choice is that it can be "re" regulated to cope with different amunition....It may be tempting to look at a double that takes a belted case... stay away from them......stick with the rimless type cartridges.....

Another caliber to consider is the 416/500 same balistics as the 416 rigby ..............some are going to tell you to consider 9.3x74r or 375 flanged...... these are marginal and the 9.3 is not legal for Dangerous game in many countries in Africa.....(lets not argue about this...the law is the law) fact is ... it is a bit light. been there and done it ... A well fitted double will not hoof the hell out of you.... also you need to learn to role with the shot ie .. hold the gun firm but do not stiffen up..... this way you get shoved a bit but it wont hurt you..... with the cheaper doubles..... take it to a good "gun maker" to refit the stock....... these off the shelf doubles seldom fitt perfectly but when worked on a bit they are a dream to shoot... (comb should not be to high and the cheek piece should flow away from your face......) perfect length allows you to hold it properly and prevent your fingures being smashed against the triger guard.......ALSO VIP.... stay away from the single trigger models.....they are fine for paper or non dangerous game......but when your gun goes "click" and there is no boom..... you are stuffed !!!! and will get and enama from a angry critter....

Have fun looking
    Last edited by Bandedsolid; 07-12-2011 at 15:50.

Can I suggest a different approach.

With your budget I would spend £ 2/300 to fly with Ryanair without a rifle to "Airport Niederrhein" in NW Germany,then hire a small car and drive to Xanten, 20 miles away and book myself into the "Schiesskino" from Schmidthuysen. http://www.waffen-schmithuesen.de/. They speak english.

You can then spend a few hours shooting in a cinema with a full bore rifle on moving boar at 50 meters. They might have a buffalo film if you are lucky.

If you tell them beforehand what you want they will have some rifles ready and you can try them. Some people will get on better with very heavy calibers others prefer lighter ones.

If you take a morning flight out and an evening flight back you can do it easily in one day and you might persuade a friend or 2 to come along. I can assure you it is great fun.

If you want to know more send me a pm.

Hello,John robson of yorkshire roe stalking recently got a new double express rifle in 9.3 x 74 ,its a Fabarm with Merkel barrels it mounts and handles beautifully,send him a pm and sure john will help you ,cheers lee