Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitka Clothing....the end for Realtree?

Sitka Clothing....the end for Realtree?

Read a very positive review of this gear.

Unfortunately it is priced at the top end and as far as I am aware not yet available in the UK.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has any experience of using this gear.

Regards

BP

http://www.sitkagear.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ben P View Post
    ...Would be interested to hear if anyone has any experience of using this gear.....
    Ben. I read about it a couple of years ago. I haven't seen any of it. Although the visual effect of a jacket and trousers is important, keeping dry matters more to me. I am still looking for the ideal jacket that keeps me warm and dry, covers my wrists and doesn't easily rip or make a racket. Thanks JCS

I have seen a real kick away from the tree patters in recent years and i feel it is the way forward. Most people realise that deer do not see the way we do and the disruptive patterns have no real advantage over some of our own traditional products. (LODEN TWEEDS and WATER PROOF COTTONS )

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Ben. I read about it a couple of years ago. I haven't seen any of it. Although the visual effect of a jacket and trousers is important, keeping dry matters more to me. I am still looking for the ideal jacket that keeps me warm and dry, covers my wrists and doesn't easily rip or make a racket. Thanks JCS
    Can you let me know when you find it please!

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I had a Shark jacket that wasn't bad, but now if I hold the back of it up to the light, I can see through it as the fabric is disintegrating. Regards JCS

The cammo pattern looks like an attempt to copy the Crye Multicam or the British version thereof (MTP). It might be better to just buy Multicam or mil surplus MTP stuff.

I just looked at one jacket and the design was awful and not at all well suited to anything beyond larking about on the high street. For a start, and a pet hate of mine, the zips on the pockets are vertical meaning that when you open them your worldly belongings bounce down the hill never to be seen again. No question, such zips are currently trendy with people who "do dangerous sports" but they are sod all use in the real world.

JCS - I understand and don't think it can be done in one jacket. If you want to be warm then you need to wear some layers of fleece and the like and then you want something waterproof on top. Try a mil surplus windproof smock with nikwax waterproofing washed into it for active stalking - with a fleece under when you need warmth. Inexpensive and available now in the British MTP cammo which seems well suited to stalking in the UK. Cheap enough to give it a go (buy the older DPM pattern as less expensive, sometimes you see them new for less than 10) and dump it if it doesn't work for you. Pretty quiet, good pockets, inexpensive, robust, pretty waterproof for normal stalking use and just works well in the field. My Mustos haven't been stalking in over a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Try Sportcheif jackets. I have one in wetlands pattern and is superb. 100% waterproof, windproof, and goes down to my knee's. Cost was 280 a few years back but well worth it.

The review I had read was in NZ Hunter by Greg Duley, not someone who would be swayed by a "pretty pattern".

Commenting on the Mountain Pants he said

"These were the best cut hunting trousers I've tried, and really comfortable to wear. They have an excellent built in belt system, and a sticky rubbery layer inside the waist band that stops your shirts etc from coming untucked. The knee pads were far from a gimmick and actually superb"

On a slightly separate issue, if anyone is looking for an excellent overseas shooting magazine, http://www.nzhunter.co.nz/ is well worth a read.

Regards

BP

I have two Sportcheif Saddlecloth coats approaching 10 years old. they have approx 2000 days wear between them, everywhere between brambles and forshore. Still wind/waterproof, silent and easily cleaned. I've bought a 'smart' shooting coat every two years but when the snow comes and the wind blows the ol'saddlecloth is still the go-to jacket.
    Too many of the new jackets loose definition when they are wet and become monotone, then you might as well wear sage green or bracken brown and just move a little less quickly.
    I think it is a rip off to charge extra for a hood, Musto is very good at that particular scam.
    Back to the O.P, Realtree is an American institution and I can only see them folding once the love of turkey at Thanksgiving, country and western music and Cabelas is lost in the mists of time. (Muir and co', sorry for the really bad social steriotyping. )

Still have a Sportchief myself which has been a fantastic jacket....far superior to the Kammo it replaced.

However it is a bit cumbersome and the appeal of the Sitka gear is it would appear to be well designed and tailored for the more active hunter.

Quite like the look of http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sitka...h-All+Products

Regards

BP