Thread: Roe Buck in velvet

Roe Buck in velvet

I was on my way to walk the dogs this morning and saw the usual doe with her two well grown kids in the same field as I normally see them in but today there was a very large buck with them, I pulled up on the verge and had a look through the binos he was only about 80yds away, and could clearly see that he had very large antlers, more than 2" taller than his ears with two definate points on each antler, and they were in velvet, it struck me as being very early for new antler growth to be so far advanced, or have I missed something,

mike

Yes, I've seen some bucks in velvet with well developed antler growth this last week. Maybe the mild weather and vast abundance of quality food this year (in my area anyway) has attributed to this?

Mike, I saw one last week looking much more developed than you'd have expected for the time of year, nothing is happening as normal this year!

things seem really messed up some only just cast and others in velvet that far developed where are things going foxes calling at least 3weeks too soon nature never fails to surprise and we are just getting first really good frost tonight.

Most Bucks down here are still in hard antler,although I did see one 1/2 shed around 6 weeks ago,so no real constant.

M

I was out Lamping with a mate last Sunday and we got the lamp on a really big buck very well developed in thick velvet. This weather will push them out to feed happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by mj robson View Post
    Yes, I've seen some bucks in velvet with well developed antler growth this last week. Maybe the mild weather and vast abundance of quality food this year (in my area anyway) has attributed to this?
    Thanks for the replies guys, I did think it was very early but this is a strange year, there is a vast amount of very good grub around this way too, I shot a doe this evening, an absolute monster of a thing in superb condition, i watched her for about an hour or so before i could get round for a safe shot and there was no sign of any youngsters, the whole of the inside was absolutely clogged with fat, its by far the biggest doe ive ever shot, (not that ive shot a vast amount) I'll try and get my mate to weigh it before he takes it to the butchers

mike