Shooting sticks ( what type )

Fifestalker25

Hi Guys looking to buy some shooting sticks for stalking but what do yous find best mono, bi or tri pod. Its my first set so looking for somthing to last and proberly telescopic. Thanks

The kits we sell aside, long time fan of the B & Q canes.

Appreciate there are varying quality sticks out there, but from courses and guests, have yet to come across a telescopic set that was not either too fiddly, too noisy or came apart - or all three at the same time.

Particularly if you have yet to decide whether 1,2,3 or 4 legs suit you best, they are a cheap but good way to start - that you may well end up using full time anyway.

Last edited:
Hi Guys looking to buy some shooting sticks for stalking but what do yous find best mono, bi or tri pod. Its my first set so looking for somthing to last and proberly telescopic. Thanks

Bipod if mobile but tripod if watching and waiting from a pre planned position

The kits we sell aside, long time fan of the B & Q canes.

... snip...

Particularly if you have yet to decide whether 1,2,3 or 4 legs suit you best, they are a cheap but good way to start - that you may well end up using full time anyway.

Definitely try different types before you buy to see how many legs you need to feel comfortable taking a shot. I use the Stoney Point "Explorer Polecat Bipod" which I really rate.

Stoney Point - Explorer Polecat Bipods

Once you have worked out whether a stick, bipod, tripod or quad sticks are for you, check the weight of any that you are looking to buy, as some sets of sticks are ridiculously heavy to be carrying around. There is no point in buying a set if you are then going to leave them in the car because they are too heavy.

Thankfully B&Q canes are nice and light (as well as cheap) to get you started :thumb:

I have engaged on a 'life simplification' project, involving amongst other things the shredding of a thousand loyalty cards that never give me any benefits anyway, closing savings accounts that are empty anyway, binning unused clothes, etc. etc. etc.. For shooting that involves stripping out all unnecessary gear, just down the the bare essentials that consist of quality equipment that's fast, light, and robust.

ok ok ok,,,I know, rambling on and on...for the purpose of shooting sticks, that means two things:
a. Roe stalking - two B&Q canes and no bipod
b. Hill stalking - single hazel stick and bipod

I fear some people end up dragging WAY too much stuff around, reducing mobility, increasing fatigue, increasing noise, increasing time to prepare for a shot, and worst of all, taking a lot of the enjoyment out of the sport by focusing too much on gear.

the ability to swiftly and quietly get in position and let a round down range can be the difference between success and failure, having to set up a complex arrangement of sticks, tag-alongs, adjust for height on legs, etc. just takes too long.

I do admit, if you are planning on static stalking, ie. sitting/standing around for extended periods and waiting for deer to show, and you're not planning on much movement, then a tripod or quad arrangement might be useful, OR if you are in an area where you canot realistically get within 100yds for standing shots (as +100m off single or twin sticks is just asking for trouble), whereas tripod or quads will probably allow you to take longer shots with more consistent bullet placement..

I have recently made some cracky quad sticks. I am fortunate enought to shoot over some ground where runner beans are grown and have nicked a few of the straightest canes i could find from a pile the size of a small lorry (i don't think they will be missed).

Anyway they are ultra light, well camoflaged and cheap. I have used M5 bolts left loose with locking nuts to bind them together and have small pieces of elastic cord between limbs to allow fast deployment. They are flexible enough also to use either together as double sticks for short range or as quads for long range.

If anyone is interested i can post some pics.

I stripping out all unnecessary gear, just down the the bare essentials that consist of quality equipment that's fast, light, and robust.

a. Roe stalking - two B&Q canes and no bipod
b. Hill stalking - single hazel stick and bipod

I fear some people end up dragging WAY too much stuff around,

I am with you on that.
Hill stalking for me is light and mobile. no bags, no rifle "jewellery" (bipods, moderators etc!)
For roe or woodland I use a two stick arrangement, with the addition of my two legs that makes four!

most important is not what you use but how you use it.
get comfortable opening and positioning it silently and swiftly
practice using it.
I use mine for rabbits a lot. scan a field with a NV mono, walk in, set up and and use a rifle mounted lamp.
It has given me lots of time to practice different sling positions, rifle holds, ways of opening and positioning sticks, panning on a moving target/repositioning and more importantly.....taking shots.

I find by holding the sticks in the left and having the rifle slung up or down on the right shoulder I can open and position sticks with one hand whilst simultaneously swing the rifle up with the right.

The best sticks I have ever used are a pair of fox bank sticks with a quick release for instant adjustable sticks I machined a nice piece to fasten two together and some 15mm foam tops they are very light and very sturdy,atb Wayne

I carry a rifle fitted with bipod and will shoot from that whenever possible. I also carry a pair of B&Q sticks(8' ones cut to 6' and sealed, they are stronger than the normal 6'). When conditions dont allow the bipod to be used then the sticks are there. I will shoot as many deer from the stick as from the bipod. I also find they are good to steady binos from. I have used quad sticks and found them to be very good if I was only taking 1 shot. However when I was shooting several deer in a group I found them very awkward to get on to the next deer as I had to move the whole setup. As for fancy and pricey sticks I would really pay the money that they command. Just this afternoon I slipped when going up a steep bank and bent mine, no big loss though cause I think they only cost about £6 and I have a spare pair ready for tomorrow.

I would go with a tripod. They make for a steady shot and are useful for hanging things on when dealing with a deer. More versatile than a two pole set up and not significantly bulkier.

B&Q Sticks. But the plastic ones. not metal coated in plastic
Just made another pair and it cost me £8.
I have set the padding up slightly different to him to ensure that it doesn't knock.

My problem is because i am so tall at 6'2" I couldn't get a tripod that I didn't have to bend right down over. So I am now making a tripod from the B&Q canes.
as said previously. If I know I will be walking then bipod if I know I will be standing in a position for a long time then the Tripod.

I can tell you what sticks not to buy..............the Bushwear ones, what a pile of ****.
Took them out the car boot having never been used and the screw fell out of them into the heather never to be seen again. The telescopic poles wont tighten on the left leg either........I had to re - drill the hole and put a decent bolt through them to hold them together, then tape the joints of the legs together so they wouldnt keep retracting....................a complete waste of money !!!:doh:

knoblock bypod extra long direct from the manufactures web site here in 3 days very well made feel strong well made.

thanks for the info in the earlier thread.

cheers phil.

Back