Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who knows their Boar?

Who knows their Boar?

A few shots taken with the Trail Camera

Whats what? Click for video.

Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 06-12-2011 at 18:09.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Many years ago I used to farm free range Tamworth pigs, looking at the markings and shape of these they look like wild boar domestic crossbreds

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Many years ago I used to farm free range Tamworth pigs, looking at the markings and shape of these they look like wild boar domestic crossbreds
    Apparently these arent crosses, a nearby Estate tried to introduce Iron Age Pigs, they escaped about 5 or 6 years ago and have been living wild ever since, its a LONG way to the nearest domestic pig.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

3 sows and a young boar or not

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    Apparently these arent crosses, a nearby Estate tried to introduce Iron Age Pigs, they escaped about 5 or 6 years ago and have been living wild ever since, its a LONG way to the nearest domestic pig.
    Funny you should say that. When they wanted "Iron Age " pigs for the Butser Hill project in Petersfield, Hampshire in the 1970's they crossed Tamworths with wild boar.
    The first generation crosses gave basically a wild boar colouring with slightly less hair and a modified body shape. My Tamworth boar crossed with a saddlebackXLarge white used to give white pigs with dark blotches similar to your pictures.
    Last edited by timbrayford; 06-12-2011 at 19:21.

Evening Dan,
    A nice group of pigs, just coming up to their second year i think. No sign of mum, which makes me think she has just kicked them out to make way for some new piglets.
    If you don't have a realy hard winter, you could have a lot of piglets come the spring.
    Great to watch, thanks for the clip.
    trev.

We have been filming this group in 2 different location, from what we can see there is 5 in the group, the locations are around 500yrds apart.

In the first clip there is a larger animal comes in to the shot and pushes the other 2 away, could this be the dominant sow?

There is possibly another 2 groups of similar numbers on the estate.

Its looking like some sport should be had soon

I have about 170 clips on the card, its great watching them.
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 06-12-2011 at 19:30.

No i would stick with my first guess, looks like you have a young family group. The animal that pushes the others out of the way, looks like a young boar.

Quote Originally Posted by trev View Post
    No i would stick with my first guess, looks like you have a young family group. The animal that pushes the others out of the way, looks like a young boar.
    Cool, that means I can shoot any one of them.

NV looks like the only way, they are proper jump jacks, even the IR coming on has them spooked.

feral pigs those , not wild boar (sus scofa) shoot them all