Thread: First set of Stalking Gear

First set of Stalking Gear

Just wondering of anyone could recommend a good Jacket, Trousers and Boots to start with.. Dont want to blow the bank, wife is likey to string me up by my you know whats.....

I have been looking around and am thinking of the following for approx 350 :

Deerhunter Ram Jacket (Green) - 150
    Deerhunter Ram Trousers (Green) - 60
    Meindl Burma Pro Boots - 140

Any feedback on the above much appreciated.

I have been using the Ram jacket and trousers for the past year and have been very happy with It.

Ram jacket is very good. I seem to find a new pocket every time I wear it and then I find more crap to fill them with !

I have a good range of coats to chose from but for the last while have been using a mil surplus windproof smock washed in nikwax waterproofing for cotton and have found it excellent - it comes out of the wardrobe before all the fancy and costly coats and does a better job - robust, quiet, great pockets, good hood, colour scheme a bit limited but new MTP cammo very good. It is not 100% waterproof but I've found that it takes many hours of serious rain before any water comes through so it is certainly more that up to most stalking and if you are worried then buy two and change when you come back to the car for lunch. The good news is that new ones can be had for 7 in the old and well known DPM cammo pattern while the newer MTP ones are a little more expensive but can be had for around 20 if you shop carefully. That is a good saving and you can put the cash towards stalking plus if you don't like it then all you've lost is a very few quid.

I have had deerhunter trousers and didn't rate them at all, they didn't last very long. I find it very hard to get decent stalking trousers but have recently been wearing Harkila and find them very good and they have lasted longer than any other waterproof trousers I've had. I'm starting to go through the knees of them now but I'd say I got a season or more out of them, most trousers last me a week to a month. Harkila seem to change their range almost every year and it is often possible to buy last years model at greatly reduced prices so I'd recommend shopping around for offers, I will append a link to the ones I'm wearing at present. The cammo pattern looks a bit odd but I think it works well and we often seem to go for colours that are much too dark so these seem a much better balance of colours:

http://www.swillingtonshootingsuppli...rush-Trousers/

Good boots are important and it is hard to give advice as everyone is very different and so what may fit me might kill you. I have maybe 5 pairs of boots in current use and one thing I will say is that your choice of Meindl are unlikely to disappoint. You may also find it useful to browse the range of good walking boots that are available - Scarpa are one of which I am especially fond.

Quote Originally Posted by TimFuller View Post
    Just wondering of anyone could recommend a good Jacket, Trousers and Boots to start with.. Dont want to blow the bank, wife is likey to string me up by my you know whats.....

I have been looking around and am thinking of the following for approx 350 :

Deerhunter Ram Jacket (Green) - 150
    Deerhunter Ram Trousers (Green) - 60
    Meindl Burma Pro Boots - 140

Any feedback on the above much appreciated.
    Nothing wrong with any of those.