Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zero shifting when moderator put back on.

Zero shifting when moderator put back on.

I currently have a wildcat mod on my sako. each time it is screwed back on (its off when in the cabinet) the zero seems to have moved from where it should be by a few inches up/down/left/right. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks

Obviously something is not lining up properly. I would be seeking expert advice and inspection of both rifle and moderator if it was mine and I could not see what was amiss myself.

Does the wildcat have a bush?
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Altered harmonics?

David.

Yes it has a bush, it seems secure. it will hold zero fine for however many shots it has through it until its taken off and then replaced at a later date. Dont know if it makes much differance but it usually shifts an inch or two to the left or right and down a bit, never usually up!!!

I had something similar some time ago...........it turned out to be nothing to do with the moderator...........it was the screws that held the action in the stock that wernt tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex100 View Post
    I had something similar some time ago...........it turned out to be nothing to do with the moderator...........it was the screws that held the action in the stock that wernt tight.
    Cadex makes a very good point. I had a similar experience, it took a long time to home in on the action screws and ultimately Grant Taylor sorted the action screws and the bedding out. Not withstanding this comment, you need to go through a structured process of elimination to work out what is really the issue for you. Good luck. JCS

Check the threads, they should be undercut. This means that there is a section between where the thread finishes and the full thickness of the barrel starts again. If not then you will not be tightening the mod to the same torque each time and this can have a massive effect on the zero. undercutting the thread means that the thread of the mod will start to exit the thread on the barrel and the mod wil hit and therefore sit squarely on the end of the rifle

If it was factory threaded it should already be done , if threaded by a gunsmith, use another one as a good gunsmith will know all this

Just to eliminate it check your scope rings & mounts for tightness

cheers i will give it a try.