Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the laws regarding sending taxidermy to the USA?

What are the laws regarding sending taxidermy to the USA?

Anyone know the laws and regulations regarding sending taxidermy to the USA? Have sold a fox mask to someone over there and wondered if it needs declaring on the box as to what it is etc etc? It is obviously not a protected species so no probs there. Also who is liable for customs charges?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Stalker 308
    I send mounted trophies regulary to the US. Sending anything there has to be done correctly, they are the strictest .
    Firstly you have to fill in a form in triplicate. Form USFWS form 3-177. Google it and fill it in and print it off. It also tell you how to do it.

You have to inform the fisheries and wildlife services of the arrival of the shipment and pre arrange clearance. I usually let a broker deal with all this side, but it costs.

There also has to be a triple invoice for customs. The box also has to be made of cardboard or plywood . No untreated wood allowed or it will be rejected.

Quite daunting. You will also need the Taxonmical name (latin name) Proof that it was it was killed legally. That sounds easy we all know you dont need a licence for foxes, but

On the other hand you can just box it up and send it as any other parcel, and hope you get away with it.

Good Luck
    Stuart www.stuartjefferiestaxidermist.co.uk
    Last edited by stuart jefferies; 07-12-2011 at 09:23. Reason: hadn't finished

Does anyone know of an agent who will send them and sort all the paperwork out?

Hi Stuart,

Do you have any pictures of the box before you closed it off for shipping?
    What is the proper way to pack antlers? Do use a bunch of foam/bubble wraps?

Cheers

Hello,
    If you look at my workshop page on my website you'll see a typical box packed with trophies. Heads are screwed to the box and antlers are zip tied to the box sides.
    Stuart www.stuartjefferiestaxidermist.co.uk

Wow, That looks a lot simpler than I had imagine. I was about to make some complicated box for shipping.

Do you have any recommendation on shipping companies? Anyone cheap and reliable? Or at least anyone who is not reliable?

Thanks

There is no such thing as a cheap international shipper. If you find one tell me!. I never outlay money. It's all done between the client and shipping service, I use a local air freight company in Inverness. Have done foe 25 years.
    Here is a contact who is an export broker. Works on behalf of british taxidermists.
    Kim Mcdonald (essex)
    01245 225378

Air freight company Inverness

Quote Originally Posted by stuart jefferies View Post
    There is no such thing as a cheap international shipper. If you find one tell me!. I never outlay money. It's all done between the client and shipping service, I use a local air freight company in Inverness. Have done foe 25 years.
    Here is a contact who is an export broker. Works on behalf of british taxidermists.
    Kim Mcdonald (essex)
    01245 225378
    Hi, Stuart - I have a Red stag shoulder mount destined for Switzerland and I wonder if you would be kind enough to tell me the air freight company that you use in Inverness. ATB Bill.

I have sent many trophies to the States over the years and it is now more complicated than in the past.

First of all you are no longer allowed to put more than two clients trophies in one box, or at least if you do make sure they are not labelled so. Secondly all trophies to the states must go through a designated port of entry which has a Fish and Wildlife Dept before proceeding to the final destination. A good freight shipper should be able to sort this. Thirdly the wood the box is constructed from has to be a special grade now! (USA law) and again your shipping agent should know this. Fourthly you need an agent who knows what they are doing!! as many have no experience of shipping animal parts to the States. There are not that many who do have the experience or knowledge and should supply you with the airway bill number and airway house bill number when they ship.

ATB

Sikamalc

I used Kim Macdonald, as recommended by Stuart. He made the process so easy, all I had to do was tell him what I was sending and the value etc and Fed-Ex picked it up from the house. Having said that for 140 I would hope it was easy! Paid for by the guy in America.