Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future of .17 Mach 2

Future of .17 Mach 2

Thinking about a rabbit gun I became quite excited about the idea of getting a Mach 2 (for rabbit + occasional corvid use) as it seems to offer nearly the performance of a .17 HMR with ammo costs closer to .22LR. The cartridge was only launched, with great fanfare, in 2004 and was forecast by many pundits to follow in the footsteps of the .17HMR and be a big success.

Alas not so, at least in the UK. Looking on Guntrader there were just 3 Mach 2's for sale vs. 412 .17 HMRs.

I guess my question is will ammo still be available in 10 years time (given you can't really reload for rimfires) or is this exciting new calibre already consigned to the dustbin of history?

I know its, in some senses, anybodies guess, but I am sure some knowledgeable forum (especially trade) members will have a much better idea than me.

Thoughts please.

I have posted this before but I'll do it again. Production of MachII guns has fallen off to nearly nil. No one in the US is buying them. The hope for the round was that it would work in the 10/22 Ruger -indeed, Ruger had already started printing it's owners manuals with the 17mach II listed (I have one)-but their plans came unraveled when cases blew the heads during the initial movement of the breechblock. The fact that it's pressure curve was too long for the unaltered 10/22 became it's downfall. My rule is that when they quit making guns, the die is cast.

I have a pair of Mach II's I received for testing and once now that the tests are long over, they don't get used. I mean, they aren't even considered.~Muir

Many thanks for this Muir.
    You have fully confirmed my gut feeling to avoid. If production of guns has dried up in the US there is no hope. I noticed that Anschutz no longer offer their 1502 model (i.e. Mach 2).
    Neal

Im just about to purchase a Mach2. Ive got 4 Gun shops round me that stock the ammo. Im sure ive heard that hornady are still making it. I dont see why more people arent using it with the price of HMR ammo going the way it is. Im also hearing more and more about the inconsistency of the HMR ammo and the problems users are having with it.

Cheers
    Ben

buy it you wont regret it.
    there is an email from Hornady somewhere confirming that they have no plans to stop production.

think about it, it costs more to remove a calibre from a production line than it does to continue making that ammo even in small production runs.

the other benefit is at some point the price is going to go down for those lucky few who have them.
    I have a 1200 hold allowance which I intend to keep at all times!!

its my second most used calibre after .22lr

worse case if the ammo dries up in 2099 you get it re-chambered for HMR

Remember the cheap hornady ammo that was for sale in 17 hmr last year ? It had a blue tip.

Those bullets were designed for the mach 2.

Clue in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by baldie View Post
    Remember the cheap hornady ammo that was for sale in 17 hmr last year ? It had a blue tip.

Those bullets were designed for the mach 2.

Clue in there somewhere.
    bollox.....
    no way hornady, CCI or any other manufacturer make M2 or HMR specific .17 projectiles.
    they make .17 bullets by the million in weights that cross a huge number of cartridge/calibre combos

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    bollox.....
    no way hornady, CCI or any other manufacturer make M2 or HMR specific .17 projectiles.
    they make .17 bullets by the million in weights that cross a huge number of cartridge/calibre combos
    Phone Eley and ask before rubbishing somebody telling truth.
    The Hornady Blue tips were bullets intended for Eley HM2 ammo, something Eley has not loaded since the original run in 2004.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Phone Eley and ask before rubbishing somebody telling truth.
    The Hornady Blue tips were bullets intended for Eley HM2 ammo, something Eley has not loaded since the original run in 2004.

Neil.
    Correct.~Muir

Not loaded since 2004 .................................................. ..... surely that must tell you something

They don't load it because there is not the market for it and why tie up machines loading for something that does not sell when they can be loading ammunition that does sell.