Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling Venison

Selling Venison

I'm thinking of joining a sydicate, where I have to pay for all venison shot, I will be mentored through each stalk by an experienced stalker. I am a qualified butcher and was wondering if it is possible to sell to the trade without becoming a registered game dealer? My freezer is not that big and teheres only so much venison one person can eat.

Are you DSC1 qualified? If so yes you can.

Im not sure but apart from the local authority health and hygiene accreditation dont you need the relevant game meat hygiene , and disease recognition which comes as part of the DSC1 coarse .
    i would be interested to hear other peoples views on this as well

Quote Originally Posted by widu13 View Post
    Are you DSC1 qualified? If so yes you can.
    Only if you sell it in the skin, as soon as you joint it up you have to be registered as a food business and pass an inspection.
    Cheers
    Richard

Here in East Lothian you have to get a licensed venison dealer certificate from east lothian council and have the preperation area signed off by them as being suitable. It costs I think 90 for 3 years.

Cheers

David

I wonder how more ways they authorities can dream up to further take money from us certificate for this, another for that, tis is a wonder we are still allowed to wear stalking attire without an appropriate certificate .

Thanks for all the info, seems like each area has their own way. I did meat inspection for two years and have worked abattoirs so the post motel inspection is easy, just can't prove I know what I'm talking about because it was part of my degree course. Basically Meat Inspectirs are taught what is normal, anything out of the ordinary needs investigation. Nobody had seem FMD for 50 years but it was spotted.

I can get my contacts to purchase with skin on but do they need certification of source?

you dont need any certificate if you give it to friends , if the want to give you some pork , beef or lamb another day everyones a winner

Quote Originally Posted by Cry Havoc View Post
    ....do they need certification of source?
    Yes, you need to keep records. See the following url and within it contact numbers for the FSA.

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/...ldgameguidance

Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by Cry Havoc View Post
    I can get my contacts to purchase with skin on but do they need certification of source?
    If you do your DSC1 you'll be able to provide the history/legend. It's also an interesting course. Cost is about 300.