Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle for foxes and small deer

Rifle for foxes and small deer

Hey everyone,
    Just enquiring as to what sort of calibre rifle would be suitable for foxes and smaller deer?? I already shoot foxes but im looking to get into some stalking and was interested in knowing more about what rifles would be good for both and what sort of price that sort of outfit would cost?? Appreciate any advice Regards Seb

243 perfect for that

ATb Steve

covers all the bases

I would go .25 06 great foxing round and good for all deer in the uk

Account Suspended
    A "sporter" weight, bolt-action repeating rifle in a suitable calibre using appropriate ammunition such that you comply with current legislative requirements for the quarry you wish to take... should be about ideal.

There are many makes of rifle and cartridge chamberings to choose from, both new and pre-owned and the price range for something suitable can typically run from as little as 100 to ..... how deep are your pockets?... and then some more.

What are you shooting your foxes with just now?

if your mostly after fox and the odd deer 243 if its mostly deer and the odd fox 308 , easy , fixed power sight and keep it simple

i have shot a lot of foxes with 30 06 so dont worry about going to big cos dead is dead

thanks everyone for the info, Tamus in regards to your question currently using a .223 mainly, and do have a .17hmr but mainly use this for smaller vermin! i believe that .223 is too small for deer? if this is the case i was thinking to get this changed for a slightly bigger caliber that would cover both the jobs without breaking the bank for ammo! regards

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by sebrobinson View Post
    thanks everyone for the info, Tamus in regards to your question currently using a .223 mainly, and do have a .17hmr but mainly use this for smaller vermin! i believe that .223 is too small for deer? if this is the case i was thinking to get this changed for a slightly bigger caliber that would cover both the jobs without breaking the bank for ammo! regards
    The .223 is good for wee deer, i.e. munties and cwds in England (not Roe) and provided you use at least a 50 grain bullet to exceed 2,450 fps and 1,000 lb/ft at the muzzle you can shoot Roe with it in Scotland, unless the rules have changed, that is.

ps. A 55 grain bullet has to do at least 2862 fps at the muzzle to yield the 1,000 ft/lbs of energy. No problem in most barrels.
    Last edited by Tamus; 08-12-2011 at 22:40. Reason: added ps

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    if your mostly after fox and the odd deer 243 if its mostly deer and the odd fox 308 , easy , fixed power sight and keep it simple
    +1 on this 57gr bt on fox.