Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leather boot care

Leather boot care

been reading through some other topics on the subject but i have a quesiton around drying and treating boots that are used regularly. I have a pair of Chiruca boa boots that i was very pleased with in terms of comfort etc but they are just about 12 months old now and one has a large crack at the toe line. I do treat them with a leather cream but as i use them several times every day when out with dogs and hunting they never get a chance to dry out to allow me to treat them from dry. I will be replacing them soon probably with Meindl's as they seem to be a good boot based on recommendations.

What way do you dry and care for your boots as the manufacturers only reccommend drying away from artificial heat sources.

regards
    keith

We have just been having this conversation this morning.
    I only have Meindl boots now, they will normally do two years of hard use before they start to fall apart.
    They are worn virtually every day and as you say KSB, they never get chance to dry out, and therefore very rarely get any treatment.

looking forward to any suggestions too.

Semi related. I use newspaper to draw out the moisture. I would use 'Dry Zone' bags but - 1. my colleague is too used to my cleptomanic ways and always blags his back and 2. Cant find anywhere selling new ones - any ideas?

I have three sets of boots in operation - but even then two rest days isnt enough to thoroughly dry out boots on occasion - particularly if out in Caithness; where a snorkel is required. Whilst a great fan of gunky stuff you can really work into leather, I have found the nikwax cream goes in well - and they suggest application just before leather dries out. However, it doesnt stand up long on high wear areas - stripped off by heather etc. So I tend to use in combination with some old mink 'oil' - I say 'oil' because its like clear boot polish. The tin is worn smooth - no markings at all, but I remember it was Mink Oil. However, having bought several different brands in recent years - none of the newer Mink Oil looks, smells, goes on or last like this older stuff.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

As Moray said paper to help dry them out. To wetproof my grandfather used to use boiled down hebridean seal oil or just mutton tallow - bit smelly.
    I've always used Neatsfoot Oil which I brush on in a few coats with a brush and it stops the leather cracking, lace rivets from rusting and breaking and makes a good job of waterproofing. Found that waxy stuff you smear on to the surface just wears off in the first mile or so on the hill / forest. The neatsfoot oil sinks right in. Some say it rots laces and stitching, but I've never found that and been using the stuff for over 20 years on meindl, gronell, scarpa, danners etc. I use the pure stuff. My gf's pissy wee old brasher boots let in water like a sieve, but with the neatsfoot oil they are watertight for the whole day. It works for me anyway.
    Last edited by Mauser66; 09-12-2011 at 17:45.

The most satisfactory answer is to have several pairs of boots so that the wet pair have a good chance of drying out properly. Look out for end of season offers later in the Spring when significant savings can be made on normal retail prices. This also has the benefit of being able to break in a new pair whilst still having an older more comfortable pair to use

use nappies.
    the absorption capabilities of those things is well tested.
    they draw out moisture much much faster than paper.

As we speak I am drying out a carpet in my wife's car. I laid two nappies flat under the mat and within a couple of hours both nappies were about 3" thick!

for waterproofing i use wax and a heat gun or hair dryer.
    I also use Yeti gaiters which negates the stuff getting worn off and a lot of the soaking

[QUOTE=bewsher500;293154]use nappies.

As we speak I am drying out a carpet in my wife's car. I laid two nappies flat under the mat and within a couple of hours both nappies were about 3" thick!

+1 for using nappies, draws out the moisture really well.

[QUOTE=Mauser243;293214]
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    use nappies.

+1 for using nappies, draws out the moisture really well.
    I used to hose them down to get rid of the worst of the muck before applying the new nappy!oops

Insoles out, laces off, tongue puleld forward and lightly stuff with newspaper and place beside the stove overnight. In the morning I just rub in dubbin making sure not to leave an excess on the boot.

I think if your using them day in day out you ought to consider a second pair or maybe just a good pair of wellies for dog walking and light work, save the boots for the ankle breaking stuff?

Yeah it is a bit of a problem if your boots are not getting a chance to dry out. Like others have said newspaper works for me then I coat with Gregor Chemie GmBH. This cream does not darken the leather and allows the boot to breathe. dubbin tends to clog the pores and although waterproof encourages sweaty feet. I use Meindl boots for all my alpine work and use lace up Buller gum boots with two pairs of thick socks for my really wet or sneaky beaky bush stalking-no need to dress rubber boots!!!