Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reduced load for 9.3x74R

reduced load for 9.3x74R

Anyone have a "light load" for practice?
    whats a good powder??
    thanks in advance.

no but do you have anymore vids of that beast being shot!?

no but i have more rounds now and have to zero, so might have soon.

Try around 20 grains of 2400 with a jacketed or a lead bullet for starters .
    I use 20 grs of 2400 with a 240 gr fmj or240gr lead in the .444 .
    The good thing about 2400 is that it is not case sensitive.

Bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

H-4895 is a great reduced-load powder. You can safely use 60% of max listed charge. (If you can find one for your bullet) I found Hodgdon listing 48 grains MAX with a 250 grain bullet. 60% of that would be around 30 grains.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 10-12-2011 at 03:19.

Hi John what bullets do you intend using for your “light” loads?

I purchased some 193 grn Sellior & Bellot bullets from Westlander at reasonable (cheap) cost and have been using 54 grns of Accurate 4064. They are accurate and easy shooting but can’t really be regarded as a real light load. I intend to use cast bullets for light practise and have bought a mold from accurate molds in the U.S. that will produce both a 270 grn and a 285 grn bullet. I have had one session casting so far and have failed to produce any good bullets from the mold but that is probably because I was rushed for time and hadn’t got it right. Previously I have only produced bullets for my 8mm from a Lee mold and they have been very successful so given a little time I am hopeful of producing reasonable quality useable bullets for the 9.3mm rifle. My initial intention will be to use Red Dot powder with these cast bullets just as I do with the 8mm. They are intended as practise rounds and not for game shooting. The cost will be absolute minimal.

My “for real” boar load is a 286 grn Nosler partition over 55.6 grns of N140.

I fear that you have the initial symptoms of “double rifle itis” for which there is no known cure.

you could be right about double itis
    I have got some speer 270 sp's.

Hi 8x57
    you will find that a lot of lead mold's need to be used/runin about 10 times before they start to cast good quality bullets for some reason .

bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Thanks Bob, I intend to give it another go over the next week or so but there is no rush at the moment as my 9.3 is in the sick bay awaiting a new ejector spring to be fitted by the gunsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    Hi 8x57
    you will find that a lot of lead mold's need to be used/runin about 10 times before they start to cast good quality bullets for some reason .

bob
    I'm sorry but I don't agree!
    I broke in a new aluminium (NOE) mould yesterday and got perfect boolits from the fourth pour. Wash the mould in Methanol thoroughly, then put it on the lowest gas ring on the lowest setting until too hot to hold; allow to cool and repeat. Dip the mould in the lead at around 650 deg (just the corner) and allow to heat through. Take off the heat and wipe clean and allow to cool for a couple of minutes and then commence casting.
    It works for me.